From:
Linda Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:55:31 EDT

Thanks for all the replies to my  question about tongue symptoms. Here is the
 summary:
3 - called it geographic  tongue
1 – was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis & has  tongue symptoms like I
described
1 - reports certain candies, especially those  w/artificial coloring cause
her tongue symptoms
4 - recommended vitamin B supplements B-1 or B2 (thiamin  and riboflavin),
folic acid and  B12
1-  reported  symptoms related to citris and recommended using
Campho-Phenique ,saying: “The  bottle says "not for internal use" but several dentists over
the years have told  me it is okay; in fact it was my dentist who told me
about using it in the first  place... It is GF.”
1- said it sounded like thrush or a Vitamin B  deficiency
1 – found it very interesting to hear of another  individual who has this
strange tongue affliction.
2 – said they got the symptoms after ingesting gluten
1 - said the tongue symptoms showed up after being GF for  a couple of
months. Also said “the Doctors were quite amused and all rushed in  to see it.” Has
been seeing a repeat at about 18 months  GF
1 - said her husband had it and was not a celiac. It came  & went w/o
treatment. See the following link:
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_doctor/tongue_geo.shtml_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_doctor/tongue_geo.shtml)
**Many mentioned reading that this symptom is common to  those with celiacs.
Again  - Thanks all! Linny