From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:23:52 EDT

I asked the group if anyone, especially people in the medical
profession, knew whether taking mega-vitamins would mask anemia
in a blood test.  The person has many of the outward signs of anemia,
has been anemic and B12 deficient in the past, and is now taking
vitamins and iron to try to help herself.  Blood tests indicate she does
not have a deficiency problem.  Are these blood tests a true indication
of her state of health?

Some of the replies were:

Very often blood tests come out normal even when there is a deficiency and this
is to to the fact of what is called homeostasis, your body will always try to
keep a certain level of nutrients in the blood at all times, the reason is that
many organs must have certain nutrients to work and others can for a short time
do without. ...

....anemia can be caused (not from low iron but from other low nutrients in the
body)...

I tend to be anemic but always test normal -- BECAUSE I take supplements.

..he symptoms you list sound like the low level "allergic cascade"
problems that my family suffers from...

..Have you looked into" candida"..

...no, the vitamins cannot interfere with the leaky gut test. But being
celiac can interfere with B-12 absorption due to a lack of intrinsic
factor in the intestines. B-12 can be taken by injection from your
doctor or sublingually. ...

Most of those who responded relayed that they had the same symptoms and also
had normal blood tests and would like more information.  Some people stated
that it sounds like an immunological problem.

I would like to thank all those who responded and apologize for being so
late to post a summary on the list.

Carol in