From:
Real Name <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Real Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:21:19 -0400

Hello All,
My recent question about this resulted in 23 replies.  For clarity I
include my original post here.

Hello All,
Has anyoneon the list experienced any sort of vision problems and if
so is there a correlati9on between them and CD? I just returned from
a eye doctor (an MD not an OD). Diagnosis is cataracts in both eyes.
 Left one in center of lens and I cannot read anything out of it,
 THe one in the right eye is off to the side and not large enough for
me to 'see' it yet. Surgury is already scheduled for the left eye.
 All this is a result of deteriating vision for the last 2 or 3 years
and 2 prescription changes in that period of time. I am relatively
young (52) and the MD said it is rare (but not un-heard of) for this
problem to develop at my age. He then said that it could be
'related' to the fact that I have CD. Anyone have any thoughts,
feedback, comments?

THanks
Marc Glassmire

7 of them said that the length of time prior to diagnosis of CD could
mean the mal-absorbtion might be a contributor.

4 said the exposer to sun light could be a contributor.

3 said that prior to CD diagnosis that thay took prednisone/steroids
and that they are known to have a side effect that they can lead to
cataracts.

3 said that diabetics have a higher incidence.  This is a 'type' of
auto-immune disease so that there could be a connection.

2 said that cataracts were genetically inherited.

Thanks to all the repliers!
Marc Glassmire