From:
Kathleen O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2013 16:47:31 -0700

Sorry - the formatting was off for my last message, so I'm resending.

-----

Thanks to all of you who replied! Several people have successfully used 3-D
cake pans with a variety of cakes. It seems any sturdy recipe would
work, but I also received several recipes for pound cake, which I'm
including. Now I think the hardest part will be decorating it.

Here are the responses:

I have done it with smaller pans--using a basic chocolate GF and DF recipe, had no issues with standing up. I double this recipe for cakes.

Chocolate Cupcakes
INGREDIENTS
1 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (i use mix of 1 part garbanzo bean,
1 part brown rice, and 1 part tapioca + 1/2 tsp xanthum gum)
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the rice
milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, if using, to the rice milk mixture and
beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder,
baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and
beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
3. Pour into liners,
filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into
the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool
completely.
-------------
The 1-2-3 Gluten Free Poundcake mix
works quite well in those pans. www.123glutenfree.com
-------------
Try Authentic Food's vanilla cake mix. http://www.authenticfoods.com
--------------
I suggest you use superfine rice flour.
Try Carol Kincinski's pound cake. She provides her flour blend recipe for it: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-pound-cake.
Here's my superfine rice flour blend recipe: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-blend.
They turn out just like gluten cakes if you add about 2 tablespoons extra
butter, and sometimes a couple tablespoons of milk.
---------
Try this recipe for pound cake: http://glutenfreeeasily.com/perfect-pound-cake/
---------
Land O'Lakes has a recipe for GF vanilla pound cake.  It is delicious and probably would be sturdy enough for your needs.
------------
Here are my suggestions as a food chemist: use one of the flour mixes that has bean or almond flour in it.  Rice, pototo, tapioca, etc., do not provide as much "structure" and tend to
be less "sturdy".  Some folks don't like bean flavor, but in sweet applications like cake, with fat which is also required in a cake, it is unnoticeable.  Also, do a trial run, so you won't be disappointed and can have a "plan B" if it doesn't work right.....like cookies. Personally, I'd probably look at a GF mix, as they've already done all the testing on it.
----------
In my opinion, GF cakes are heavier than "regular" box mixes.  I think it would stand okay, but you'd have to use a very light hand with a soft icing so it didn't crumble while
spreading icing.
---------
But if you add  1 small pkg (3.4 wgt oz ) GF Dry pudding mix to your GF cake mix.Your  cake will be moist and plenty strong enough to hold up. You may have to adjust the liquid up a bit try a tablespoon at a time to make sure it's just right.
----------
POUND CAKE - GLUTEN FREE

Ingredients
1 Pack 8 oz cream cheese soft
2 Stick unsalted butter soft
3 Cups Sugar
6 Eggs
3 Cups Gf flour
1/4 tsp xanthum gum per cup
of flour
1/4 Vanilla Extract

Directions:
Beat cream cheese. Add Butter and mix. Add sugar one cup at a time. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour cup at a time beat until just incorporated. Add xanthum gum or mix with flour. Add vanilla. Bake in cold to start oven for 65 to 75 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool in pan for a bit then turn out on plate

    *

    *