From:
"Aimee M. Bittinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:19:36 -0800

         Thanks for all who replied and so fast. The consensus seems to be
that Augmentin is GF. I have not called the company myself as it is Saturday
and I doubt they would be there but since people have called within a couple
months I trust they have not changed the recipe so drastically.
         It is nice to have such great support after dealing with those
idiot doctors (I sometimes wonder if they cheated their way through med.
school) and unsympathetic pharmacists who the docs send us to do their dirty
work.
        I have taken another pill and have managed to keep it down, but I am
still having diarrhea. I am thinking now maybe it is the water? who knows.
Definitely not gluten since I am not really eating anything.

Thanks again for all the help. More info follows if you want to keep this in
your records in case god forbid you get the flu.
-Aimee   :~)

*******
According to the Clan Thompson Pocket Guide To Gluten Free Pharmaceuticals,
Augmenin chewables do NOT contain gluten. No SmithKline Beecham products
contain gluten, I was told when I was researching our book, however there
could be cross-contamination at the manufacturing site. Their phone number
is 1-800-366-8900 if you'd like to confirm the information.

Mylan Pharmaceutical (Phone: 1-304-599-2595) told me that their Amoxicillin
capsules and Amoxicillin oral suspension are both gluten free.

(The Kollel-LA guide and CSA/USA product list also say Amoxicillin is GF)
*****
When I called Stokes Pharmacy a month ago to verify the GF status of
Augmentin, and Stokes reassured me that Augmentin was STILL GF.
*****
Smith-Kline Beecham's number is 215-751-4000
******
I called about Augmentin in September and was told it was GF. (I have it
written down as Amoxicillin/clauulanate potassium- don't know if that
matters) Hope this helps!
******
thanks again guys!