From:
Janet Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:53:11 -0700

THANK YOU all for sharing the many experiences, well wishes, and great suggestions (other than the obvious rest) on overcoming Mononucleosis.  Here are the responses:

  Mononucleosis is a long term disease. He will feel fatigue and low energy for 4-5 years. He can expect bouts of extreme tiredness during the day, I also felt the low energy, the lack of focus and concentration during certain times of the day.
   Sleep, but not in BIG sessions, one good nightly one, and then naps of no more than an hour or so, 3-4 times thru the day as needed. Warnings-Multi relapses can occur if not letting the body continue to rest after symptoms subside.  Just because you feel better does not mean it's gone.  Don't get active too soon.  Maintain an inactive lifestyle, don't participate in sports or jobs on top of school to best avoid relapsing. Cautiously and gradually return to your level of fitness when it no longer sets you back, slowly building stamina.
   Lactoferrin and Colostrum (Vitamin Shoppe Has a combo under their own label that is reasonably priced) is a good immune system booster. The book "prescription for nutritional healing" is a good resource for supplements for recovering from mono.
   An exceptionally healthy diet, Protein is essential for helping the liver to heal, and the body recover. Balance the diet as best as possible.  Red meat, beef is recommended.
   Super milk thistle (I took 2 pills 3X a day) Milk thistle states that it is good for cleaning out/strengthening the liver. - call his doctor to make sure the milk thistle won't interfere with any meds- It's also called Sylimarin (sylamarin?).
   Find a physician who would give IV glutathione. It's amazing. Also, there is something Jacob Teitelbaum (physician who authored "From Fatigued to Fantastic") uses for chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia patients. It's an IV cocktail called a Myer's infusion. It contains vitamins and minerals, I get them at my doctor's office every few weeks. But the glutathione is like balm. If you have a good complementary medicine practitioner in your area, he or she will know about these types of IV therapies.
   B Complex - energy, C - immune boost, E w/ selenium - immune boost/detox, cal/mag - mineral support. These w/ a general multi-vit, will combine nicely.
  MEGA water, about 64 oz a day, unless he's over about 75kg (165pounds) then 1 oz per kg of weight, daily.
   Sublingual Vit. B.  Our bodies have a hard time digesting regular vitamins.  Try these for energy.  Be extra careful about relapse.
   Sublingual B12, and a good B supplement (not high dose, just some). Also some CoQ10.
   My doctor recommended Bee Pollen (One daily?) and Echinacea and golden seal (7 days only). Together they made a big difference.
   A good multi vitamin can't hurt.
   A naturopathic doctor prescribed supplements, a combination of supplements that made her feel better FAST. The supplement that I think helped the most was colostrum, also a supplement to boost her adrenal gland.
   B 12 injections (prescription) work wonders for fatigue, a B complex would be best since b 12 needs to be balanced with folic acid. Extra vitamin C... The emergen-c packets by Alacier come in all kinds of flavors. Rosavin is good herb for fatigue.
   A product from Herbs Etc, they have a website by the same name, called Deep Health. It is an extract and a combination of Chinese Mushrooms and Astragalus, all proven to build immunity. I have it with a small amount of OJ. for a course of several weeks.
   I drank Ensure to increase my protein and ate high protein foods (almonds, etc) to combat the fatigue.
   Coconut oil is a bactericide, viricide, and fungicide.  It will help kill off the mono viruses.  Because of the kill-off, you want to start small and work up, say one teaspoon once a day, then twice a day, then three times day, increase to two teaspoons three times a day, to three teaspoons three times a day, all the time keeping a careful eye on his
condition.  You need to see if he is sensitive to coconut oil itself, and then if he is getting too much of a kill-off reaction.  Adjust accordingly.  Be sure the coconut oil you give him says on the label that it is pure, unrefined coconut oil.  You may have to get it through a health food store.  It is very heat-stable, so you can use it to cook with, too.
   Echinacea helps our immune systems to combat viruses.  I drink it as tea, made from teabags manufactured by Alvita.  It is commonly sold in health food stores.  You only drink it when you need it for a virus, because, like antibiotics, if you drink it every day you will become accustomed to it and it won't help anymore.
   'Vitamin Bible' by Earl Mindell says ... Diet is important and supplements are generally considered essential during the long convalescence. A.M. and P.M. - Mindell Vitamin Program:  1-High-potency multiple vitamin with chelated minerals (time release
preferred).  2-Vitamin C, 1000 mg. with bioflavornoids, rutin, hesperidin, and rose hips.
3-High-potency chelated multiple minerals.  Plus the rest of MONONUCLEOSIS states: -Extra  Vitamin C, 1,000 mg. A.M. and P.M. for 3 months. -Potassium, 99 mg. 3 times daily. -B complex, 100 mg. (time release) A.M. and P.M. -Zinc, chelated, 15-50 mg. daily. -Propolis, 500 mg.  A.M. and P.M.
   juice plus+ / juice plus+ capsules to battle fatigue problems and is gluten and casein free.....go to www.juiceplus.com/+sc89347

Thanks again,
Janet
Modesto CA