From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:52:47 -0500

I just read Naomi's post about Westbrae products and was very upset by what
she was told on the phone.  I too called about a week ago and was sent an
updated list of gluten free products.  This is what the list said.
All of the following are GF except where noted:

Westbrae Malteds - all flavors except vanilla (contains barley)
Westbrae Lite Malteds - all flavors
Cafe Westbrae - all flavors
non dairy rice drinks - all flavors (brown rice syrup is converted with
fungai enzyme)
non dairy soy beverage - non fat plain and non fat vanilla (brown rice
syrup is converted with fungai enzyme)
Westsoy Organic Soy beverages
NOT GF Westsoy original (contains rice syrup converted with purified barley
enzyme)
Westsoy Organic Soy beverage
Westsoy unsweetened
NOT GF Westsoy plain and vanilla soy drink
Westsoy Plus Plain, vanilla, and cocoa (brown rice syrup converted with
fungai enzyme)
Westsoy Lite Soy Beverage plain, vanilla, and cocoa (brown rice syrup
converted with fungai enzyme)
Westsoy Soy concentrates vanilla and plain (brown rice syrup converted with
fungai enzyme)

I hope this clarifies what is gf and what is not.  Always verify
information before using it in your situation.  You can call the company
for a complete list of all gf food.  I'm not sure what a fungai enzyme is
or if there is a risk of cross contamination but I'm calling the company
for verification.

Also, I have been in touch with White Wave, Inc. who makes silk soy and
rice beverages and dairyless yogurt (all in the dairy case).  They are in
the process of changing their sweetener from rice syrup (not GF) to cane
crystals (sugar that is GF).  This is true for their Dairyless yogurt too.
For the yogurt, look for the package that says "Silk Dairyless Yogurt".
The Chocolate Silk Soy beverage uses cane crystals and non alkalized cocoa
powder.  My daughter tried it and has used it all this week with no
reaction so far.  Make sure you read the labels to verify that you are in
fact getting the new formulation that is GF.

On a sad note, Hershey's Special Dark chocolate will contain milk protein
to make it smoother and creamier.  This change is already in the works and
will be on the shelves in April.  I don't know if it will still be gluten
free, but  for those of us who are not only gluten intolerant, but dairy
intolerant, this is very disturbing news.  I e-mailed the company to no
avail, but I did have enough warning to stock pile (and I do mean stock
pile) enough chocolate from  the old formula so I can continue making my
daughter her dairy free GF treats for holidays.

Happy eating.
Bev Wahl in Chicago