Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 18:03:05 -0400

I just returned from a week at the Westin/Sheraton Our Lucaya Resort on
Grand Bahama Island (Freeport) & wanted to summarize since I didn't receive a
ton of responses when I asked for information.

We stayed with the all inclusive, which was excellent given the resort had 12
restaurants - ranging from a few pool/beach-side snack shops to a very high
end steak house.  You certainly pay a lot more upfront for the all inclusive
package, but given the $3 water bottles and $10 pina coladas, plus very
expensive resort prices, I highly recommend going AI.  We saved our receipts
to see what we would have ended up paying without AI and it was over $1000
more (for two of us) than what we had shelled out with the package.

I called the resort ahead of time.  For reference, the food & beverage manager
was named Sheriez and she was very helpful.  When I arrived, there was a
note on my reservation and Sheriez called our room not 15 minutes after we
arrived to let me know that she had emailed all of the restaurants on the
property with the procedures for handling gluten intolerance, and told me to
inform the manager and server of who I was and that she had sent an email.
She suggested I made dinner reservations at the nicer restaurants so they
could prepare for me.  Literally every manager knew who I was as soon as I
said my name...very reassuring.

In summary - breakfast was a buffet (only option), HOWEVER, there was an
omelet bar that had no gluten exposure, plus fresh fruit, yogurts, fresh
hashbrowns, and corn grits.  The buffet is huge and each choice was located
very far from others, so cross contamination chances seemed much lower to
me.

For lunch and dinner, we tried all of the restaurants at some point.  Lots of
fresh fish, conch chowder (thickened with pure cornstarch), fresh fruit, and
flavorful rice.  Lots of ice cream and pina coladas for dessert :-)  I actually
brought the travel size Tinkayada pastas just in case there wasn't a lot to
offer, and the restaurants were more than willing to cook up my pasta in fresh
water & prepare it will their seafood pasta dishes which were excellent.  A
benefit of the slow way of the Caribbean is that no one minded taking the
extra time to prepare my meals.

I would highly recommend this location for gf dining - it was great to have a
variety of restaurants that were willing to put in the extra effort so I could eat
well and truly enjoy my vacation!