From:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:56:04 -0500

I wanted to follow-up and post the results of my children's tests.  Good
news!  Neither one tested positive on the Prometheus Labs Serology!  My
oldest, 10, tested positive for the HLADQ2 gene, and my youngest, 6,
tested negative for both genes.  My experience with Prometheus was very
good.  It just took a little effort on my part to fill in one page of
paperwork (name, address, phone number, insurance info, stuff like that)
and to get the order from the pediatrician to draw the blood and then
coordinate the blood draw and mailing of the samples with our local lab.
They were very willing to do it.  I even received an e-mail from the lady
at Prometheus who had sent me the kits saying the samples had arrived
safely.  The samples arrived on a Friday and by the n
ext Friday, I had the
results (one had come in on Tuesday even and the other came in late
Thursday).  In hindsight, the only thing I may have done differently would
be to do the genetic test through Enterolab.  I found out afterwards that
they also test for the DQ1 gene which is associated with gluten
sensitivity but not actually Celiac.  If insurance does not pick up the
Prometheus testing it would have been less expensive for me to do the
genetic with Enterolab instead.  If anyone has any advice for follow-up
for my child with the positive DQ2 gene, that would be great.  So far, I
have heard that re-testing every 3-5 years or sooner if symptoms appear,
seems to be the only thing I need to do.  It was recommended not to have
her go GF since many people have that gene and never go on to develop
Celiac.  I have not had the gene testing on me, but was tested through
bloodwork and biopsy.

Lisa in Wilkesboro
, NC