From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:53:57 -0700

I received many responses...here's the condensed version!

Try making a topping of buttered breadcrumbs with onions. I melt 1-2
tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, add chopped fresh onions and
simmer until onions are clear, then add 1 1/2 c. gf breadcrumbs. Use this to
replace the other onions. It works for me.

How about putting some caramelized onions on top when you pull it out of the
oven? I think you would get a nice flavor and even a little bit of the
crunchiness!

I bought a small fry daddy and make my own.  I dip the onion rings in egg with milk
followed by dragging them through some Zatarain's fish Fry.  There are 2 flavors;
one is just plain corn meal and corn flour.  I use the one that is seasoned.
My whole family think they are as good as any onion rings we ever had before going gf.

Just slice a big, sweet onion to make the rings, and fry or saute them
in olive olive oil, after dipping the onion rings in well-beaten egg and
in GF corn meal or GF corn grits.

If you are okay with Frito-Lay (like the rhyme? :-) ), then you
might try their Funyons.  I've used these in place of the French fried
onions on different things.  So far my son has not reacted...in fact he
eats them straight!

Try slightly crumbled Wise potato chips. Also do not use Campbell's soup.
The Progresso cream of mushroom soup is a bit thinner, but is gluten-free
(though always read label to make sure they have not changed the recipe).
Campbell's is, I believe, unpredictable so not advised for celiacs.

I made the green bean casserole with Progresso creamy mushroom soup and put
tortilla or corn flake crumbs on the top. My son  liked it better that way
than with the onions!

 personally think it is a mistake to try to duplicate some of the "wheat" recipes
because it can never taste the same.  Almost like making substitutes in any
recipe changes the product.  Maybe you can figure a green bean dish with
green onions and red bell peppers or something healthier than the old recipe.

Once I got mixed up on the recipe in my pre GF days & put shoe string
potatoes on top. It was good.  You could also try crushed potato chips.

I have started using toasted slivered almonds on top of my gb cass.. If
you have trouble with nuts, it is really good. Or you can use corn
flakes or potato chips...

I make my own using the coating recipe that is in Roben Ryberg's
book 'Gluten Free Kitchen'.  They are fabulous!

I make my own GF Green Bean Casserole every Thanksgiving. Instead of the
French Fried Onions, I frizzle my own leeks. I adapted this idea from
Molly Katzen's recipe. I just heat a nice fry pan over med-high heat,
add olive oil (a few Tbls.) and "frizzle" (fry)sliced leeks until nicely
browned, drain on paper towel. They taste really great! You could always
toss the leeks in GF flour first, but why bother? This can also work
with larger sliced scallions or mixture of both. To add some crunch I
top the casserole with sliced almonds on top of the frizzled leeks.