From:
Joan Harrington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Harrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:05:09 -0500

Great recipes, continued...

This is a favorite of our family.  We made the regular with graham cracker
crumbs years ago.
Five Layer Bars
1 1/2 c gf corn fla
ke crumbs (use blender or similar to make very fine)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter or margarine melted
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c white chocolate chips (or gf butterscotch)
1 1/3 c flaked coconuts
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
1 can sweetend condensed milk
Stir corn flake crumbs with sugar and melted butter in a 13X9 pan.  Press
mixture evenly.  Layer chips, coconut and nuts evenly.  Pour condensed
milke
over top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
I'm making some tomorrow.  They are actually best kept in the freezer
because otherwise everyone eats them up.
Teresa in AZ

This recipe really helped my baking a lot!
DRY FLOUR MIX
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch 1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister
. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.
CHOCOLATE KISS COOKIES
Cream 1/2 c each of Margarine, white sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter.
Add 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 1/2 c gf flour mix.
Chill. Roll into balls (I used my melon ball scooper). Bake at 350 for 8
min
on lower rack. Remove and place a chocolate kiss in center. Bake for 2 more
minutes.
I always bake one cookie first to be sure they are not too flat, I did add
more flour as I like fat cookies.

Christmas Sugar Cookies
3 c gf flour mix (see below) 2 eggs
1 tsp soda 1 c sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp almond (or flavoring of your
1 c gf margarine                      choice)

Sift flour, soda & cream of tartar - cut in margarine or butter (I find
that
margarine is easier when rolling out
the cookies). Beat eggs, add sugar &
almond - mix well. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well by
hand.
Chill at least 15 min (several days is ok). Roll out to desired thickness
on
floured surface and cut into shapes. Decorate with colored sugar, or if you
prefer, after baked & cooled frost and then sprinkle with colored sugar,
etc.
2 c powdered sugar mixed with some melted butter & lemon juice frosts one
batch. Jan from ND

my favorite cookies are the mint chocolate cookies found on the back of the
hershey's bag of mint chocolate chips.  i follow the recipe exactly and
just
put in rice flour.  my family, and many non celiacs love them.  i have
never
frozen them, but i don't see why you can't.

good luck,
julie

Hi,
I have a lot of suggestions.  Come to the Delphi CD Forum site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
and
look at my "Best of Mireille" recipe collection:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=celiac&msg=14862.1
Ask me any questions you have there, and I'm sure we'll find very good
recipes to your satisfaction.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Mireille

There are many recipes for no-bake cookies which are usually gf (peanut
butter are the easiest) and flourless chocolate cakes. Homemade cheesecake
is also a good option, as most recipes are flourless (the recipe on the
philly cream cheese is) - you just need to find a gf alternative for the
crust.
This is my favoite.  It is really not difficult and freezes beautifully.
It
is best to add the glaze after defrosting.
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
For crust
1 box chocolate wafer cookies (9 ounce)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick) melted

For filling
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teas
poon instant coffee powder
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

2 packages cream cheese (8 ounce) room
temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs

For glaze
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

Make crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap outside of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with
2
3/4-inch-high sides with double thickness of foil. Spray bottom of pan with
vegetable oil spray. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add butter and
process until blended. Press mixture onto bottom (not sides) of prepared
pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.

Make filling:
Combine cream and coffee powder in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat
until coffee powder dissolves. Reduce heat to low. Add chocolate; whisk
until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cool 10 m
inutes.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well
blended. Beat in cornstarch. Add sour cream and vanilla; beat well. Add
eggs
1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Whisk 1 cup
cheese mixture into chocolate mixture. Return chocolate mixture to
remaining
cheese mixture; whisk until smooth.

Pour batter into crust. Place springform pan in large baking pan. Add
enough
hot water to baking pan to cone halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake
cheesecake until softly set and slightly puffed around edges, about 1 hour.
Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven 45 minutes. Transfer springform pan t
rack and cool. Cover; chill cake overnight.

Make glaze:
Bring cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add 4 ounces
chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Pour glaze over top of cake.
Using spatula, smooth glaze evenly over top. Ref
rigerate until glaze is
set,
at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Using knife, cut around sides of pan to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Cut
into wedges and serve.

Serves 10 to 12.
Bon Appétit
March 1997

R.S.V.P.

Brandy Rum Balls
2 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
5 1/2 Cups walnuts, ground
1 cup honey
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup rum
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
Mix first 5 ingredients in food processer, mixer or by hand.
Form into balls and roll in confectioners sugar.  Can be frozen.

Gingerbread Cookies
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup shortening
7 cups GF flour mix
5 teaspoons xanthum gum, not w/ Mr. Ritts mix
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1
 teaspoon ground cinnamon
decorators frosting

Mix molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.  Can use kitchenaid while
mixing other ingredients.
Mix remaining ingredients except for frosting.  Add to molasses mixture.
Cover and refridgerate at least 2 hours.
Heat oven to 350.  Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board.  Cut with
floured cookie cutters.
Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake until no indentation remains
when touched, 9-10 minutes.
Cool and frost.
Make about 30 cookies
Decorators frosting