Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:49:13 -0600

HI!  At my recent Celiac support group a lady, who also is diabetic, showed
the group a card that her doctor gave her 10 years ago after diagnosis.  It
is a small card for the wallet entitled "Special Diet Exemption Card".  Her
doctor told her to use it when she went to places that would not allow her
to bring food in - like baseball stadiums, movie theatres, amusement parks,
etc.  Those places that don't want you to bring your own food in because
they want you to buy their food.  This card needs a doctor's signature in
order to be valid. The back of the card explains that the card carrier is
exempted by the Commissioner of Health from having to follow the rules in
order to be able to bring in their own "safe" food.  I think this is
something that would be very helpful for those of us with Celiac Sprue.  I
have been asked to bring my cooler back to my car when going to a local
amusement park.  The rest of the family would like to eat inside the park
but we end up having to eat out in the parking lot so I can eat my lunch
with them.  I called the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and they are looking
to see if they can find me some cards like that to distribute to the group.
Does anyone on this list know of such a card - and how to obtain them?
Thank you,  Kathy in Minnesota