From:
matteo richiardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:05:17 +0000

Dear Listmates,
my impression is that the discussion about the "awful diet" going on is a
little bit distorted. What I find "awful" is not what I have to eat, nor
the effort I put in following the diet or the sacrifices I make every
day... these are just what they are and seem to be a good investment, given
that I cannot change my conditions. What I find awful is that it is so easy
to do mistakes, and most of the times not because of my fault. Sometimes it
seems to me that I will never be able to recover completely, since it seems
an enormous task to stay for one whole year or more on a gf diet with no
errors at all. And for every error, all sacrifices are gone, and I have to
start again from scratch. I don't think the diet is awful; I think all the
problems (and the people) that make following the diet so difficult are
awful! Our life is so difficult not directly because the celiac disease,
but because our problem is almost completely ignored by society. And, say
what you like, this is something awful and worth fighting.

Matteo Richiardi,
London