From:
Amanda Hayward-Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:07:41 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions that I thought someone on the list might be
able to help with. I am a diagnosed Celiac (3 years) also dairy, corn and
soy intolerant. I am very strict with my diet.

Firstly, I had a bone density test last week, and was told that my density
was abnormally low for my age (30). Although I havnt eaten dairy for 6
months now ( I realized that it was the cause of some problems), when I gave
it up I started taking supplements (about 60% RDA of calcium and Vit D per
day from supplements)plus I also try to eat a can of fish with bones almost
every day. I do weight bearing excercise 5 times per week, but again only
seriously started a few months ago. My question is, are these abnormal
levels likely to be the result of years of sub optimal calcium absorption,
or could my recent abstention form dairy be partly to blame? Secondly, is my
level of supplementation enough, what is the best form of calcium to
supplement with, and how soon might one expect to see an improvement?

On a completely different topic, Ive been having epigastric and abdominal
pain for about two weeks now. It is intense sharp pains, worse at night or
after food, and is accompanied by an enormous amount of bloating and gas,
with loose stools. At first I thought gluten or milk must be sneaking into
my diet, but I have carefully reevaluated everything Ive been eating and it
all seems fine. Also, the pain is "different" from the usual gluten-whoopsy
pain, no "raw stomach" pain, nausea or acid reflux and no wooly-head or
peripheral tingling, which are the symptoms I usually get. I do feel weak
though. Does anyone have any ideas, or a similar experience to this? Could
it be an infection or something? It seems to be lasting such a long time.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Amanda
Amanda Hayward-Lester Ph.D
Mooseker Lab, Dept of Biology
KBT 342