Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:31:47 -0600

>>It would be terrible to try to adhere to this diet for one's entire life
>>if and when it really isn't necessary!
>
>I don't wish for the writer to take offense here, however, something MUST be
>said about this kind of "attitude". <snip snip>  While I'll agree that it's
>not the easiest, I refuse to fall into that mindset of this being an "awful
>diet".

I do not recall the word awful being used in the original post. The original
post, as I remember it, was the frustration at reading about alleged
"transient celiac disease" and not knowing for certain which end is up.

>There is nothing TERRIBLE about this diet, except that general society makes
>it difficult.  Forgive me, but I don't hear my diabetic friends complaining
>all the time about their "awful" diet.

Of course you don't. Partly because they can walk into any supermarket
and snag a host of sugar-free substitutes. Partly because diabetics have
a great poster child with Mary Tyler Moore, who put a face on the disease.
And they also probably don't complain because they are probably are not
newly-diagnosed. My husband was just diagnosed [well, re-diagnosed, he
didn't listen the first time] with type II diabetes and he's one unhappy
camper right now.

>Constantly brooding about what you CAN'T have serves no other purpose than to
>keep you miserable.  I don't wish to lecture.

But you did, in essence, lecture.  You have had had 7 years  -- 2,555 days  -- to
get used to the notion, find the right tools, grab the right recipes and adjust to life.
I believe the original poster got the news 10 months ago -- a short 300
days ago. And I do not believe there was any brooding.

My impression of the original post was a combination of the frustration
of hearing about "transient" CD  ... and most likely, not knowing what
the right course of action is. Twenty-eight years ago I was misdiagnosed
with epilepsy. For twenty-eight years, I took addictive barbituates to
curb seizures that were, in fact, caused by gluten. Is that awful?
You bet your sweet bippy it is. I am now on addictive barbituates
that I don't need, yet withdrawal would cause serious serious issues.
I am on barbituates that are made with wheat starch and cannot get
them compounded.

Do I count my blessings? Absolutely. At least I am no longer running
out of dinner parties, fleeing in illness. Do I whimper in the cookie
aisle at the supermarket? You betcha.  I'm only a year new at this,
so I find it still quite a shock. Personally, I think adult-onset
*anything* is a shock...

At least there is the *support* of this list that guides me to better
thinking.

Most times.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm