From:
Jenny Leeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:23:52 PST

Dear Fellow Celiacs'

Never did I imagine that my post would turn up so many feelings, so many
summary may serve everyone best.

A few months ago, somebody posted a letter about fanaticism in the
celiac community.  While they made some valid points, I felt they could
use other words to describe what this community, our list, is feeling:
ANGER, FRUSTRATION, DISSAPPOINTMENT.  That letter made an impact on me.
It made me realize that we hold ourselves HOSTAGE to accuracy of food
labels, the product knowledge of the product rep's, the care of the
factories, etc...all open to human folly, or worse, apathy.  Here we
are, born with a blip in our genetic code,we not able to participate in
"normal" food-oriented holidays, celebrations, business, family meals.
Dissecting the whole of human culture, you can't help to make note of
the role that food plays in it. So, it only stands to reason that many
of us are feeling dis-enfranchised by the food industry. I, on the other
hand, have chosen to be free of this strife by choosing to by my foods
in the purest form possible: Fresh and raw.

The suggestions I made weren't necessarily for an actual boycott.  I was
thinking more on principle.  I would no sooner give my money to a cause
I didn't believe in than give money to one who didn't care about my
health (esp. where it pertains to food).  I would never dream that my
not buying puffed corn would send Arrowhead Mills into a tizzy. But,
being a life-long celiac, I've learned that I must rely on my own
resources.  And I'm no too sure that that's such an awful thing.

Maybe we should look at Celiac Disease as a canary-in-a-coal-mine
situation.  Think of the things we need to avoid: flavorings, colorings,
inert ingredients, and any other mysterious additions to foods in boxes,
cans, etc, that otherwise wouldn't be there.  I have friends who, with
glee-full abandon, eat Ring-dings, Spaghetti-Ohs's, canned soups,
etc...one friend is going in for tumor surgery (second time in a year),
another for knee replacement for bone degeneration.  Others complain
about their depressions, being fat, sore, no energy, etc...SOUND
FAMILIAR?  Maybe we are all allergic/intollerant to pakaged
foods-gluten-ridden, or not.

Health to everyone!

Jenny :)