From:
"Kevin M. Haney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 13:07:45 -0400

Well, I finally found some xanthan gum in a local health food store
($12.50 for 5.6 ounces - is that good/bad?), and was able to make my
first loaf of gluten free bread in my new bread machine!  It actually
wasn't too bad (certainly better than the frozon white rice breads I've
found in the health food stores, but not as good, flavor wise, as the
almond rice from Food For Life).  I thought it would be a flop, because
the consistency was so different than regular bread dough (I made some
regular bread for my wife) - more like mashed potatoes than bread dough.

One thing I'm surprised that I haven't read about is that the xanthan gum
has a very strong smell.  I may use a little less next time (I used 1 and 1/2
tsp. to three cups of flour), to see if it's less noticeable.

Does Guar gum have as strong an odor as xanthan gum?  Also, how does Guar
gum compare in price to xanthan gum.  I haven't been able to find it it the
health food stores.

Kevin

| e-mail | [log in to unmask]                                        |
| web    | http://www.netaxs.com/~khaney                            |