From:
"Rebecca W. Buffum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 23:51:12 -0500

Wow!

The response to my post has been wonderful. I posted my question earlier
today and have already received over 20 replies. I welcome more- but
thought I'd summarize what I've heard so far.

Almost every single person reported having a similar problem or having a
relative with the problem. The itching occurs predominantly at night and
feels like prickly heat creeping under the skin. People reported feeling
this everywhere from arms, neck and chest like me, to back, shoulders,
thighs, face, shins- even eyebrows!

Most people were just as mystified as to the cause- but were pretty sure
it was CD related, if not DH specifically. A few did suggest that it was
in fact DH, which manifests differently with everyone. (which makes
sense, as CD ceratainly does this) A few people had identified the cause
of their itching- caffeine, the city water, dust mites. Some suggestions
for things to consider: other food allergies, hormonal response to
allergies, thyroid problem, menopause (not me though!), vitamin
deficiencies, physical contact with gluten.

A few sources of relief for people- showering when the itch starts, Ice,
lotion. Cold compresse- like a washcloth, seem to work the best for me.

Basically the consensus was that I am not alone!! I am sorry for anyone
who has this problem, but am glad to hear that its not uncommon. No real
conclusions as to the specific cause- but I'll try to be more aware of
what I've done/eaten etc. (tough b/c this doesn't happen that often)

Again-THANK you- and I hope this info helps some of the rest of you.

Becca