Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:21:42 -0500

This is not a sob story.  Just some facts that many don't know
and examples on the difference between these two.

I received many responses asking why I don't/can't find a
GI who knows about Celiac.  The answer is always the same.
Medicaid.

If you are disabled and can collect disability through Social
Security then you also get Medicare.  Medicare is accepted
by most Drs. and hospitals.

If you are classified indigent, as I am, then you get what is called
SSI and Medicaid.  Medicaid is NOT accepted by most Drs. or
hospitals, only those designated as Medicaid facilities.  Additionally,
SSI pays only $484 dollars a month which you can't even try to
save.  If your total assets are $2,000.00 or over at any time, the
benefits are cut off because you are too rich.

This is what 30 years of paying taxes has bought me. Another slap
in the face.  When my father died, he also had bowel cancer.  As
such, now that I'm over 50, it's recommended that I have a
Sigmoidoscopy every three(3) years beause of the family history.

One was scheduled.  The hospital called today to tell me that I
probably won't be able to have it because all my Medicaid
allotment for the year has been used up.  Ya see, Medicaid, also
only allows $1,000.00 per year for outpatient services.  When
you exceed that amount, you get no more outpatient services
until your year recycles.

The government that I worked for didn't pay into Social Security
because they had their own pension.  However, when I left, I wasn't
fully vested, so the proceeds were paid in cash.  Since I got sick
and coldn't work, I had to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  They took
it all, money, house, car, furniture.

When I went to apply for Social Security disability, since I had been
paying into the system since I was 18 yr.s old, except for the last 10
years, I was told that it didn't matter.  In order to collect Social Security
disability benefits, one HAS to have paid into the system for the last
five (5) years.  Most people don't know that.  Therefore, I was
not eligible.

Because the bankruptcy, by court order, stated I had no assets, I was
able to qualify for SSI and Medicaid.  I'll be able to collect regular
Social Security and Medicare when I reach the age of retirement whch
I believe is 63.  Until then, I'm stuck with what I have.

I hope this informs everyone who may have been confused about the
two.  Many people seem to think Medicaid and Medicare are the same.
There is no comparison.  They are worlds apart.

If fact, one of the technicians at the hospital was abhored when I told her
I was refused at Mayo, on the recommendation of the Neurologist, because
they won't accept Medicaid.  She also, thought they were virtually the same.

When it came to getting glasses? I spent my own money.  Medicaid also
pays for glasses.  $8.00 per perscription. Period.  That's all the vendor is
re-imbursed.  Generic plastic frames that wouldn't fit my face and would
have been broken in 2 weeks.  This is also a perfect example why Drs.
or hospitals won't accept Medicaid.  They re-imburse practically nothing.

Dennis