From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:55:48 -0700

More helpful information came about this recipe.  Sharon, quoted below, as
well as one other reported that they made it successfully with tapioca
flour.  Both really enjoyed it as did their guests.  I like using the
tapioca pearls because no mixing with water is required.  Below Sharon's
comment is the revised recipe including the onions.

One person asked if I checked out the GF status of tapioca pearls.  I
didn't.  I never check the GF status of foods unless there are questionable
ingredients (such as starch, natural flavors, etc.)  I told this person that
if it was of concern to her she'd have to do her own checking.  I'm too
lazy.  Ha ha!

Valerie in Tacoma
-----------------
I tried your stewed beef recipe and it was delicious. I doubled the recipe
and froze half of the recipe in small freezer bags.  Yesterday I had
unexpected dinner guests and quickly defrosted it and heated it up in the
microwave. I served it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  My husband
said it was as good or better after being frozen.  The guests thought it was
very delicious.  (By the way, none of us have celiac disease but I now only
make GF recipes because my son is a celiac and plus they're healthy.)
--------   I couldn't find the tapioca pearls so I substituted tapioca
flour.  (I always use 2 heaping teaspoons of tapioca starch/flour to 1/2 cup
cold water and then add that to thicken gravy in my slow cooker.  I doubled
that when I doubled your recipe.)   I also used no onions and less of the
rosemary and oregano.  Thanks for a great recipe that is so easy and freezes
so well.    By the way, I have another Very Easy slow cooker recipe:    In
slow cooker  - put approx. 2 lbs beef -  (can cut up into smaller pieces or
large chunks - whichever you prefer.)  Add no other liquids but I spray the
slow cooker with a nonstick spray. Then add 1 can COKE and sprinkle ONE
package (there are 2 packages in a box) Lipton ONION (Recipe Soup and dip
mix) -  It's GF--  Slow cook approx. 4 - 5 hours on high or 8 - 10  hours on
low - depending on your slow cooker. The gravy is great as is or you can add
the tapioca starch/flour to thicken.  Your tapioca pearls would work well
too if you want a thicker gravy.  You can serve this as a stew or shred the
meat. I serve it as a stew with potatoes, etc.   Sharon
Stewed Beef (not beef stew)
Load & stir the following into a slow cooker:  2 pounds cut up beef, 1 can
S&W ready cut tomatoes, 1- 6 ounce can Contadina tomato sauce, 1/2 small
onion chopped (optional), 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano leaves, 1
tablespoon fresh minced rosemary leaves, 4 garlic cloves minced, 1/4 cup
tapioca pearls (or 2 to 4 heaping teaspoons tapioca flour mixed with 1/2 to
1 cup water).  Slow cook 8 to 10 hours on low.  Add salt & freshly ground
black pepper to taste.  Serve over hot rice, pasta or potatoes.