From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:08:48 -0400

Some of the questions generated by my post (which I will not repeat
since it was long) were:

Favism? what is this. I answered this in another post.

Where do I get garbanzo flour? I have been buying it at a local Indian
store. It is from Canada. Several mail order companies carry this flour.

Tart pans? I have bought the disposable aluminum pans which cost me
about $1.25 for 8. They are like miniature pie pans. My first set lasted
about 15 months after being used a minimum of once a week. I would like
to buy permanant pans but what I have found so far are extremely
expensive.

Do you recommend a breadmaker and if so which brand?

I am using the breadmaker because I owned it prior to going gf.

Would I buy this in place of a standing mixer like a Kitchen Aide or
Kenwood? It depends. If you have the money for the mixers then that is
my first recommendation. Based on comments on the list breadmakers can
be purchased for $50-100 while the more powerful mixers are $175-500. I
like the breadmaker because I can throw in the ingredients, come back in
1 1/2 hours to put the dough in the tart pans and 40 minutes later bake
it for 12 minutes. I have other medical problems that make it necessary
for me to have breaks in my work routine so this works for me. However
others have found that you can get a bread within the hour using a stand
mixer like the Kitchen Aide (Betty Hagman talks about this in her most
recent book on bread, in fact she currently doesn't even recommend using
a breadmaker).

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA