From:
anne barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:01:11 -0500

Dear Group,

My husband and I just returned from a short break from reality.  We
drove over to Smithville, Texas (where Hope Floats was filmed a few
years ago, with Sandra Bullock and Harry Conning, Jr)  The town really
looks like the 50's with the Main Street and old houses.  We stayed at a
B and B named the Katy House, in their Conductor's Quarters.  The
proprietors are Sallie and Bruce Blalock.  She was very gracious about
my requests for Gf foods.  I faxed her a little information in advance.

Once there, I checked labels in her kitchen. (all were GF)  I took my
own bread, which she toasted on a clean griddle for me.  It was a lovely
big country breakfast, with all the trimmings, served at a big oak table
in her big dining room.

Sallie suggested several cafes on the Main Street one block over, where
she knew there was a chef that cooked from scratch.  If you are in the
vicinity, we highly recommend the Katy House.  Their website is
www.katyhouse.com  and their e-mail is: [log in to unmask]  Phone is 1-800
843-5289, and they are located at 201 Ramona, Smithville, Texas 78957.

Smithville, is  about 40 miles East of Austin, which puts them about 2
hours from Houston or San Antonio.  It is definitely a trip back in
time.  If you are passing through that way, drop in and say hello.
Sallie will keep my GF list on file for her next celiac's breakfast.

Anne in San Antonio