Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 23:09:11 -0500

Hi All~~Several years ago, a generous listmate sent me her bread recipe,
which I dutifully prepared over a period of two years. I didn't deviate
from the recipe other than to use 1 1/2 envelopes of Red Star yeast instead
of just the one envelope. And as most of us experience, I never knew just
how well the bread would turn out from week to week.

Two weeks ago, I made two drastic changes to the recipe, which resulted in
an amazing loaf of bread. The recipe called for baking the bread in a 5"x9"
standard bread pan at 375 degrees for one hour. The loaf would rise, but
not much above the lip of the pan and I had to bake the bread almost 90-120
minutes at 400 degrees to get it done.

So, rather than doing the same thing expecting different results, (that
doesn't work) I changed up two things. One, I didn't let the dough rise to
the top of the bread pan - I began baking the bread when the dough was
about 3/4" below the top of the pan. Two, I cranked the oven up to a
preheated 450 degrees. (Yikes!)

I ended up with a full-sized loaf of bread that was just at 5" tall. And I
only had to bake it for one hour. The crumb was nicely uniform with
moderate and consistent  airy holes that made it light and fluffy (and
moist), and the crust was "crusty."

After eating Udi's Multi-grain GF bread for most of the past year, I
realized the bread I bake was pretty blah. However, I FINALLY achieved the
crumb, texture and height I'd been sure we could get. Now if I can find
things to add flavor to my bread, I won't be buying commercial sandwich
bread again except in emergencies. My bread's not perfect yet, but I've
cleared a huge hurdle...

The point of my post is that we can achieve an excellent standard-sized
loaf of bread that is attractively tall and light. Pretty sure I'm not
spending $5.50-$6.00 to make my bread. I do need to "flavor it up,"
though...

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas

--
*
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen

*******