From:
Schlueter, Cindy-WDC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:35:24 -0700

Hi Listmates!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding Kraft Miracle
Whip Light.  It seems the basic consensus is that it is not GF or not worth
the chance.  I did get a reply from Judith in Canada who stated that 2000
Canadian Celiac Guide stated that MW Lite is gluten free.  I don't know if
the manufacturing process/ingredients are different in Canada.

I have been having quite an attack over the past 2 months.  It has really
just recently come to my attention exactly how saturated the food industry
is with wheat/gluten products.  When I was diagnosed (through biopsy) with
CD 4 years ago (along with a milk allergy), my doctor and dietician told me
to simply stay away from whole grain bread, wheaties, beer and the like.  I
was also told I could continue to eat flour just in moderation and that the
milk and all milk by-products were the most important things to stay away
from.  I followed that diet and became somewhat better.  I then became sick
again and of my own accord took myself off pastas and white bread.  Sure
enough, I improved again.

This year I have been getting worse again.  I had switched to Rice Dream for
the past year as my milk substitute.  I was becoming extremely fatigued
constantly. I felt bad all the time.  I decided to do some more research and
see if there was anything I was missing and sure enough the information I
finally found on celiac disease enlightened me to the fact that I have been
consuming gluten all along (especially in the Rice Dream--I would go through
this stuff like water).  No wonder I feel so bad.  So over this past month I
have been gathering as much information as I can and revamping my entire
diet.  I threw out practically everything in my kitchen and have had to
restock.  I am still in the process of wading through all the product
information to find out what is and is not GF.  I have found this difficult
because there seems to be so much conflicting information.

I truly appreciate this list.  It is a very valuable source of information
for me.  I am committed to doing everything I can to heal myself and work on
public awareness.  I remember when I was first diagnosed I could not find
very much information and/or did know where to begin to look.  Things have
definately improved but there is much to be done!  I pray for the day when I
tell someone I have celiac disease and I don't get that look like I'm crazy.

Thank you again!  Some of the responses I received are below:

______________________

I telephoned Kraft last month, I spoke with Stephanie Williams who mailed me
good info. Their number is (800) 323-0768.

Kraft regular mayonnaise and regular Miracle Whip are both Gluten-Free as of
January 26, 2001. Of course, they recommend checking ingredients when in the
store. -Randy in San Francisco, CA

_______________________

I had a prominent celiac physcian at Mayo Clinic tell me to stay away from
anything from Kraft!! (because of their production practices) I called them,

and got the major run around, and I don't trust them as far as I can throw
them! I love Miracle Whip, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

_______________________

I believe that on the newest Kraft list, it is.  I know the light mayo is.
RKC

________________________

According to the most recent list from Kraft which was issued on Jan.
26, 2001 and supersedes May 3, 2000, only the regular Miracle Whip and
Mayo are GF. Sorry about that. You can order the list by calling their
toll-free number and they will mail it to you 800-323-0768. joan

Coincidentally, I just received a list from Kraft yesterday that I requested
a couple of weeks ago from their website. Kraft Miracle Whip Light is not on
the list that they sent me. Kraft Regular Mayonaise was on the list as well
as Regular Miracle Whip. You can request a list of gluten free items from
the website and they will mail it to you. The website address is
www.kraftanswers.com

Deb
Gurnee, IL