From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:45:07 -0400

Found these for Passover, but look good for all year. I haven't tried them yet.

Basic Quinoa
2 cups water or vegetable stock
pinch salt
1 cup quinoa
Place quinoa in strainer and rinse for 2 minutes (or it will be bitter).
Bring salted water to boil.
Add quinoa and simmer covered for about 12 min. or until water is absorbed. Fluff. Makes 3 cups.

Quinoa Pilaf
2 tablespoons oil
2 minced celery stalks (why not diced carrots, peppers?)
8 oz. chopped mushrooms (I prefer fresh button mushrooms.)
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup raisins soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, drained.
Optional: 2 cups cooked (leftover?) chicken, turkey, meat
1 recipe of basic quinoa
(This sounds like something I would toss pine nuts into just before serving.)

In a large skillet, sauté the onions, celery and mushrooms. Stir in raisins and cooked quinoa. Add meat or poultry if desired. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley or your favorite herbs. Serves 4-6.

Tomatoes stuffed with quinoa
8 fairly large ripe, but not soft tomatoes, scoop out seeds, cut slice off top, so you have a flat end.
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 chopped green onions or a handful of chives
1 diced red, yellow, orange, or green pepper (remove seeds first) (not hot peppers)
1/2 cup chopped pitted black olives
1/2 cup chopped parsley or your favorite herbs. (I use basil in everything.)
optional 1 cups of crumbled/grated cheese or gluten-free breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sprinkle inside of tomato with salt and pepper. Turn upside down on paper towel to drain about 15 minutes. Combine all ingredients except cheese. Place tomatoes on greased baking sheet, fill with mixture, sprinkle with optional cheese (or gluten-free breadcrumbs), and bake about 12 minutes. Serves 8.