From:
Victoria Fricot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:20:46 EST

Thank you to all who answered my post.  Most people agreed that it didn't
matter what name you used . Celiac disease is the 'new' term but means the
same. I will be delivering the doctor  a packet of information. I really am
glad for the chance to share.
Summary follows:

On Feb. 22 I wrote:

"...He said do you mean celiac sprue or celiac disease? I said I thought
it was the same thing . He said NO..."
---------------------Summary-----------------

Unless he was a GI doctor or a celiac, I simply wouldn't listen to anything
he said about celiac. My internist is unusually sharp and told me over the
phone I might have celiac "sprue" and sent me to a good GI. He is too sharp
to try to treat me himself. The GI doc said celiac sprue is the old term.
Mostly they now say celiac disease. I'd be curious as to what others think
about this. -vance
   Refer your doctor to this page from the Mayo Clinic where it says
"...celiac disease, also called celiac sprue,..."  If he cares enough to do
some research, here is a place to get started.  He may have been thinking
about tropical sprue, which is an unrelated condition. (It is covered on
this page too.)

At the bottom there is a listing of where to look for more information.

   This is a really neat site.  You can type whatever you are looking for into
the search box and see what it comes up with.

        Hope this helps.  Diane

 http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/9810/htm/celiac.ht
Sometimes you have to (ever so gently) educate those docs!  You should have
asked him to explain the "difference" to you.  Perhaps he was confusing
tropical sprue with celiac sprue.  Those are two different entities.  But
celiac sprue and celiac disease are one and the same.  Our primary care
physician needed a lot of educating.  After I corrected him several times
about what area of the intestine we were discussing, he got the point and
proceeded to do some reading on his own.   Like most of us, doctors don't
like to be embarrassed.  Once he learned what he could about celiac disease
he didn't have to risk another run in with me.  We see him quite often
because my husband and three daughters all have newly diagnosed celiac
disease.  I also offered him some of the material I had gathered from the
internet.  I believe that CSA/USA also has some "doctor training" materials.

Chris in CA
A rose by any other name---Celiac Sprue, Celiac Disease, Non-Tropical
Sprue,Malabsorbtion Syndrome,Gluten Sensitve Enteropathy is the same.

The different one is Tropical Sprue.

Sincerely,

Diane Eve Paley NJ
Celiac sprue, celiac disease and gluten sensitive enteropathy are all the
same thing.

IMHO your doctor is wrong.

Sander