From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:49:05 -0400

Thanks very  much to   everyone who responded!!

 Here  are some  links with Toronto info;    www.penny.ca/Ontario.htm
http://torontoceliac.blogspot.com/

http://celiac.ca/englishcca/echptr.html#ON

I also cut and pasted a  list  of info  for my daughter from  people’s

In addition  to specific  places mentioned below, there seem to be a lot
of Indian, Greek,  Thai, and Mexican  restaurants in Toronto, which all
usually offer some safe choices.   And they have Baskin  Robbins!

The Burger Shoppe  at 688 Queen Stree=
t East (before Broadview Avenue) is now offering gluten free hambuger
buns.=
  The beef, organic beef, and chicken burgers are all gluten free
(fries not gf)

Hero burgers (again, various
locations across the city).  They don't add bread or other filler to
their patties, and will gladly serve them without the bun.  Check on
any toppings; I usually just have the cheddar cheese.  The fries there
are fine, too (but it's been a while since I had them so she should
check).

There is a large Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes in Yorkville, which is
central, where she can buy GF snacks, and most regular groceries
stores have natural food sections with GF stuff.  If her school group
goes to the St. Lawrence Market, there is a stall there that sells
excellent GF baked goods but I forget what it's called.

Il Fornello – an Italian restaurant chain.  They have gluten  free past
and  pizza – ask at your hotel if there is one near you.

Café Next Door, 790 Broadview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, 416.469.1971.
Café Next Door is operated by Magic Over (see listing below). The owner
informed me that the menu features vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and
wheat-free options for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.
 <http://www.toronto.com/infosite/146593/> Le Commensal, 655 Bay Street
(at Elm Street), Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2K4, 416.595.9364; fax
416.596.9365.    Le Commensal is a pay-by-the-weight vegetarian
restaurant in downtown Toronto.  The menu promises no preservatives or
additives, and dishes are labeled V (vegan), O (egg), and L (dairy
<http://www.ryerson.ca/~bcameron/gft/milk.html> ). The wait staff has a
list of gluten-free items, and happily walked me through the buffet to
show me which dishes were gluten-free. Ingredients like wheat and dairy
are also indicated on the back of the dish label.
 <http://www.magicoven.com> Magic Oven (2 locations): 788 Broadview
Ave., Toronto, Ontario, M4K 2P7, 416.466.0111; and 127 Jefferson Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario, M6K 3E4 416.539.0555, [log in to unmask] .
Described as the "best pizza this side of Italy" by the National Post,
and among the city's best by Toronto Life, Magic Oven offers a
gluten-free rice flour pizza crust - now available by the slice
 <http://www.newyorkfries.com/> New York Fries, various locations,
including two in the Eaton Centre.   NYF is my emergency lunch (when I
haven't brought anything and I am rushed for time). According to Celiac
Canada's Fast Food Fries <http://www.penny.ca/Fry.htm>  list, which
includes some information on toppings, NYF are fine.
 <http://www.swisschalet.ca/> Swiss Chalet, (various locations: try SW's
Restaurant Locator <http://www.swisschalet.ca/locator/index.html> ),
1.800.860.4082.    Swiss Chalet operates more than 180 restaurants in
Canada and selected parts of the USA. The menu focuses on rotisserie
chicken, but other dishes are available. Please read the Allergy
<http://www.swisschalet.ca/ourmenu/allergens.pdf>  Information fact
sheet before dining. The allergy information seems comprehensive (it
includes nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat & glutens,
sesame, and sulphites) but you may want to make further inquires when
you arrive.
A restaurant   called Big Mamma’s Boy offers gf pasta, bread and
desserts.   <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Also, we were able to pick up several different GF muffins at the
Farmer's Market part of the St. Lawrence Market
(www.stlawrencemarket.com).  I'm sure you never know who will be there
each week, but if she happens to be in the area is might be worth the
stop.  If she does, tell her to look for a sweet potato farm that bakes
GF goodies.

*******
*******