From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:21:47 -0500

Fran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The book titled "Against the Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell, ...
>page#265 has  Portugese Celiac restaurant explanation langauge.

(1) As noted a few days ago some of the translating in her book is suspect.
While I don't know if she translated "chemical additives" to "agricultural
fertilizers" in this one, I did notice that she translated celiac disease to
"tipo de doenca intestinal". Don't know why she didn't use the direct
translation of "celiaco". Maybe they used a pocket dictionary that didn't
have celiac in it.

(2) Never even once in any of her cards does she say that "gluten" can't be
eaten. She just lists some gluten containing things.

(3) Her cards include buckwheat and millet to be avoided. I don't see how
anyone can consider these to have gluten. (Though my translation may also
have one of these as at the time I followed what CSA listed in their materials.)

(2) The fellow asking is in Germany and I doubt Jax's book is readily
available there.

Don Wiss.