From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:50:42 -0500

One of Two Parts:

Hi Everyone!

Although it was a rainy gloomy afternoon, we celiacs and parents/spouses
got together for lunch and it brightened our day.  We met at Chili’s in
South Charlotte and had another great dining experience.  I was a little
nervous since I recently went to a Chili's in Michigan and when I asked the
server for the gluten-free menu, she said, "Do you want the Braille menu?"
Of course, I asked to speak to the manager and was served a wonderful and
safe meal.  When I returned home, I received the GF menu from Chili's
headquarters.

So today, I arrived 30 minutes earlier than the group and sat down with the
manager, Paula, to cover all elements of our condition.  Paula was very
interested and attentive. They gave us our own section of the restaurant,
so it was very private.  Everyone was so helpful and wonderful.  Although
there was a little bump at first (like croutons on a salad), Paula
immediately stepped into the situation to ensure the rest of the lunch went
perfectly.  She even helped in the kitchen to personally prepare our
meals!  We were all very happy, stuffed and even our little Andrew (age 5)
got a chocolate shake.  Therefore, I think we would all say Chili's is a
great restaurant and deserves our business.  They care about doing things
right and are willing to go above and beyond to make us feel safe and enjoy
the dining experience.  So, thank you Chili's for a great menu with lots of
choices.  Also, thank you Paula for your positive attitude and help in
making this a special afternoon.

We had one of our largest turnouts ever with lots of new members,
including: Charlotte, Christy, Rose, Bill, Eddie and Lisa.  I apologize but
we are growing fast and it's impossible capturing all of the
conversations.  I ask people to jot down a couple of highlights but it
pales to what the day really entailed.  You'll just need to come!  I think
Carol said it best at the end when she said did you see the energy and how
much conversation was going on everywhere.  I know I didn't hear one moment
of silence!

Some highlights include:

#1 - At the top of our list, has to be Susan Hinderaker's new "Gluten-Free
Family Favorites" Cookbook.  Yes, Susan, one of our members actually wrote
and published a cookbook.  This is wonderful in itself but on top of this,
she is donating all proceeds to the University of Chicago Celiac Disease
Program!  Of course, I try to support anything and everything related to
celiac but I really didn’t expect the cookbook to be so wonderful!  The
book is only $20 (+$6 for shipping) and it's over 200 pages.  It is bound
in a spiral that makes flipping the pages and viewing it very easy.  When I
scanned the recipes in each of the section overviews, they really look
like "family" meals.  The best part, though, is that all the recipes look
very simple and easy to make!  So, if you are interested in ordering a book
and, importantly, supporting the celiac cause then click here for an
overview and an order form http://www.charlotte-celiac-
connection.org/GF_Family_Favorites_Cookbook.html

*******
To unsubscribe, email:   [log in to unmask]
*******