From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:10:56 -0400

One poster in a recent summary seemed puzzled as to why Deland had to
add might contain wheat to the bread and thought it might be because
of a little flour in the air. Actually it seems it might be a little
more serious than that. Here's a post to this very list from
February. This is actually from one of the founders of the list.

Millet has been one of those grains that there is a wide variety of
thoughts about including it in the gluten-free diet. Most National
Support groups do not restrict millet from the GF diet, because it is
genetically very different from wheat and related grains. The main
concern is cross contamination by bakers and other food processors who
do not adequately clean wheat from their equipment before making millet
products.

If you search the Celiac List archive files or ask members of your local
support group, you will find two major thoughts on millet bread.

1. I get sick every time that I eat it.
2. It is the best product in the world and my favorite bread.

I recently obtained a copy of a qualitative gluten test report performed
by AIB International of Manhattan, KS, sample 1261.

In the sample, it showed positive results, with gluten being greater
than 10 percent. This is well beyond the amount that is considered safe
for any celiac by any of the experts.

The bread sample tested was from the Deland Bakery in Florida.

Last night I checked their Web http://www.planetdeland.com/delandbakery/
site with the intent of filing a complaint through the FDA. They removed
all references to the product being gluten-free. It was there about a
year ago.

I personally have never eaten any bread from Deland Bakery, but those
that do should evaluate the use of the product in their GF diet. I
understand that some people will be extremely upset, but our good health
is my first concern.

-----
Michael Jones mailto:[log in to unmask]
Orlando, FL USA

And here's another one from delphiforums by another person who became
concerned enough to have the bread tested:

The results are in:

"Dear Dr. Tomei,

My laboratory received the Deland Millet Potato bread sample on
Thursday, May 27, 2004 and analyzed the bread for the presence of
wheat gluten. The lab tested the bread for wheat gluten with a
commercial test kit (R-Biopharm, AG, Darmstadt, Germany). The result
is listed below.

Sample Identification
Deland Millet Potato Bread
Gluten... >5000ppm

The limit of detection for the R-Biopharm kit for wheat gluten is 10
parts per million (ppm). Amounts below this level cannot be reliably
detected with this assay. For your reference, 10,000 ppm is
equivalent to 1%.

Sincerely,

Susan L. Hefle, PhD
Associate Professor and Co-Director
Food Allergy Research & Resource Program
University of Nebraska

Ironically, I also received this letter from the DeLand Bakery (abridged):

Because in our facilities we prepare other products, like new york
rye, oat meal, oat bran, whole wheat, eight grain, etc. and to comply
with the recommendation from the Federal Food & Drug Administration
and the state Department of Agriculture, we just added the following
information to our labels:

"Processed in a non Gluten free facility. Contains traces of Wheat,
Gluten, or Yeast."

That should put this discussion to rest. While I am sad we have lost
this bread as an option, and I am upset that I unwittingly had my
children eating it for over a year, I am grateful the FDA came
through and the labelling will be changed. Now no other celiac will
be in the same position as my family."

Everybody has to make their own choice.

Richard