From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:15:51 -0700

AHA! Anne Barfield wins the grand prize! She referred me to p. 26 in
Ms. Hagman's book on bread baking:

White rice flour                140 g/1 cup
Brown rice flour                126
Garbanzo bean                   127
Garfava                         117
Romano or Canadian bean         148
Soy                              82
Sorghum                         127
Arrowroot                       127
Cornstarch                      140
Potato flour                    185
Potato  STARCH                  187
Sweet rice                      162
Tapioca starch                  125

I immediately ran to the kitchen and weighed a cup of the white rice
flour I use, measured the way I usually measure it. It weighed 200 g!
That's quite a difference. It's time for me to try her French bread
again, weighing the ingredients this time.

My favorite flour mixture for making any old cookie/cake/baked goods
recipe [except bread] is one I got from this list (submitted by Wendy
Wark):

1 c. brown rice flour
1 1/4 c. white rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch
2/3 c. tapioca starch
3/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/3 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. xanthan gum

Yes, it looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but you just mix up a
big batch at a time. I've been able to use a lot of old family
recipes using this mix.

And now, question #2: In their responses to me, several people have
said they add extra egg white(s) to recipes for baked goods. In
Shirley Corriher's book, Cookwise, she says that adding extra egg
whites to recipes will (a) leaven and hold things together, but they
also (b) are "the most incredible drying agent that cooks have at
their disposal." So now I'm wondering about the wisdom of adding
extra egg whites to a flour mixture that can result in crumbly, dry
breads anyway! Just a thought..

Anyhow, thanks to all who have already replied or plan to reply to
the original question. It's time for me to get going on today's
chicken pot pie (from Cook's Illustrated American recipes cookbook)
and to frost the cake.

Sue

PS I love Carol Fenster's white bread recipe. It always works great
here, at an altitude and humidity level comparable to where she lives.
--
Susan Pieper, Las Cruces, NM