From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:23:10 -0700

Here is a new recipe I adapted that turned out great.  Enjoy!

Sue in ND

Rhubarb Custard Bars (adapted from Taste of Home Cook Book 1999)

Crust:
2 cups GF flour mix (I used Four Flour Bean Mix)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

Filling:
2 cups sugar
7 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1 cup whipping cream
3 eggs beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb thawed and drained

Topping:
2 packages (3 oz) cream cheese softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

In a bowl, combine flour and sugar, cut in butter until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs.  Press into a greased 13” x 9” x 2” baking pan.  Bake @ 350
deg (325 deg for glass pan) for 10-15 minutes.  Meanw2hile, for filling,
combine sugar and flour in a bowl.  Whisk in cream and eggs.  Stir in
rhubarb.  Pour over crust.  Bake at 350 deg (325 deg for glass pan) for
40-50 minutes or until custard is set.  Cool.  For topping, beat cream
cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.  Spread over
top.  Cover and chill.  Cut into bars.  Store in frig.

Bars need to be cool to cut and stay together.  A little xanthan gum in the
crust would probably help hold together, but they were OK without it.
These are definitely not low cal, but they won’t stay around the kitchen long!

Happy Eating!!!