From:
Laura Oconnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:12:16 EDT

Hello,
I've discovered from my list mates, GF fried veggies are delicious.  Thank
you so much.  You opened a new chapter in my kitchen.  Even for my non celiac
husband loved it.  He sad it was better than the one at the restaurant.

I've received more than 15 recipes.  It will be difficult for me to write all
of them but I will try to offer something for everyone.

1 recipe:

3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. GF flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. ice water
1 slightly beaten egg.

Mix dry ingredients well.  Beat water and egg until foamy and add to dry
ingredients.  Stir until smooth.  This works best if you keep the batter in a
bowl of ice water while dipping vegetables for frying.

2 recipe:

1 1/2 c. chickpea flour
11/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne
11/2 turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
11/2 c. water

Mix the flour and seasoning.  Add half water, whisk, slowly, while whisking,
add the rest.

3 recipe:

2 eggs
3/4 c. ice water
2/3 c. GF flour mix
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 t salt

Beat eggs and ice water.  Add remain dry ingredients and mix just moistened.
Batter is lump, don't stir again.  Keep batter cold in crushed ice bath.
Then dip your favorite food and deep fry.

Dry recipes:

Gluten free flour or GF pancake mixes.  Add a carbonated drink like sprite,
club soda until consistency.  Dip veggies, etc....Light and crispy.

Gram or lentil flour makes a very food batter.  Just add a tablespoon or so
of vegetable oil to the flour and then add enough water to make the correct
consistency for dipping.  It is a nice golden color after frying and is quite
crisp.

You can use any GF pancake batter; thinning it down a bit.

Also use white rice flour and seltzer water.  You'll get the consistence of
tempura.

Or cornstarch. lots of baking powder, club soda and add some mustard for
flavoring.

There is also an excellent recipe for tempura in Bette Hangman's book called
"More from the Gluten-Free Goumet/Delicious Dining Without Wheat."
pag.326/27 for seafood.  Pag 249/50 for veggies.

Well, thank you so much again to everyone who shared their recipes.  Hope you
will like them.

Regards.

Laura in Atlanta