Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:37:43 -0500

Hi All--

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I felt I knew the answer to my
question, which was: Is the new ionizing contrast material used for
abdominal CTs gluten free? As a rule of thumb - if it's infused via IV and
the solution is clear, it is GF. If you want to be double certain, call the
manufacturer.

Several people brought up the issue of being sensitive to the iodine in the
dye. Though there is less of it in the new contrast material, my
understanding is that it still contains a small amount. As of late
yesterday, the urologist wanting the abdominal studies said he will not give
me the CT contrast; my sensitivity to the iodine in the past was too severe
to even premedicate me with steroids. I don't intend to ask for an
explanation, but I can consume iodized salt and shellfish without problems;
 there is a difference in iodine we eat and the iodine used in IV contrast -
or there's a difference in how we metabolize it. If you need to know the
whys of this issue, please ask your doctor or friendly radiologist.

Thanks, again, to all. I always like to run things by the experts when I'm
not 100% sure!

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama