From:
Lisa Grove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Grove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:14:02 -0700

Here's a summary of info from the responses to "Food Intolerance
Guides?" on 9/5. It's long, but several people wrote with a lot
of info that might be useful to someone, so I've included it all.

-------

I am not answering your question but thought you might be
interested in this web site.
http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/

----------

...I've gotten a little of everything from everywhere.
 Mostly
 the paleo diet, and what they use for autism (not sure there's a
'cure', like a lot of them say, but I sure feel a whole lot better)
work pretty well with the other things.  And I did have to start from
scratch, and look at the websites for the disorder sometimes, rather
than looking for the allergen itself - there are some things that just
don't have enough research as they stand.  So, as far as actual 'guides' for the corn and sulfide problem, no.

Now, the corn was a little more difficult.  However, there's a nice website
from the National Corn Grower's Association that is quite happy to
announce what their product is used in (apologies to them for using
their website for things to avoid buying).  Sometimes, while companies
may not give you a straight answer on whether things are in the product, just look for the 'brag' sites. ...

---------

I haven't used any guides to find out what I was intolerant
of, however, in 2003 and 2004, I was exceedingly intolerant of all but
about 5 foods.  I finally found a nutritionist in another state who
helped me by phone, after exhausting leads to local resources and
medical doctors.  I knew going in that I had abnormal gut
flora which needed addressed, but could get no local doctors to help
with this, so this is how I got started:

I sent a stool sample off to a lab for testing.  (I used Great Smokey
Labs, which has since changed it's name to Genova Labs, I think.  But
Dr.
 Fine, of celiac fame, I think also does these tests.)  The results came
 back telling me I had candida overgrowth and several bacterial
problems.  I did get antibiotics to treat the one bacteria from a local
doctor.

From there the hunt was on for help with the remaining bad flora, which I
finally got from Byron Richards, CCN, by phone (he is in Minnesota).  I
am not telling you to use him, but he worked well as a last resort for
me.  This is his website:    www.wellnessresources.com     Back when I
contacted him, I did not know he had a website.  I called him after
having read his book, "Mastering Leptins", the last half of which deals
with all the hormones and how they interact.  Up till that time, I also
had great fatigue, which no doctor could seem to figure out how to get
rid of.  In 10 minutes on the phone, Byron dxed me, and in another 30,
explained how I could get back to full health!  I was, of course, quite
skeptical as the program he offered (lots of supplements, many of which were his) came to quite a
lot of money.  But after talking to my husband, he said "you've tried
everything
 else, it is worth it to try this".  I literally had been thru hell and
back--I had been ill my entire life and bed-bound for 13 years prior to
being dxed with celiac disease in 2000.  After going gf, I
only improved to the point of being lightly active for 2 or 3 hours a
day.  [I was also dxed with chronic fatigue syndrome.]

To make a long story shorter, it was a 2 year program, which took
extensive work from me (I had to retrain my body to exercise during the
2nd year), but I recovered fully, not only from fatigue, but also from
food intolerance and diabetes (sort of).  For diabetes, I went totally
sugar and sugar alcohol free for over 2 years.  At first, I only added
back
 sugar once every 3 months, but over time, added it back more often,
watching how my bs reacted.  Now I can keep my  fasting bs to 105, as
long as I restrict added sugars--on most weekends, I usually will have
something with sugar in it.

As to the food
intolerance,
 which you mention you are dealing with....  what I did was a program to
 kill off aberrant gut flora with natural gut floral killers
such as coconut oil, bring my nutrition up to an optimal level (I was
very
 nutrient deficient from years of food intolerance), and at the same
time, go very low carb (in order to not feed the "bugs" I was trying to
kill)--30 grams for the first 6 or 8 months (excluding most natural
sugars and food items yeasts and bacteria live on).  Slowly over 2 1/2
years, I brought the carbs up to a normal level.  Specifically I used
the supplement quercitin to help with food intolerance.  At 6 to 8
months (this was 8 years ago, so I forget the exact timing), I was able
to begin slowly adding foods back.  At the end of 1 1/2 years, I had been able to add
back all but asparagus, glutens (of course), and sugar.  I still had
mild intolerance to milk (and I drink "Lactaid" milk still, tho I can
have regular milk or ice cream now on occasion), beans (I still do not
tolerate all beans well, but can have various ones now--black, navy,
kidney,
 limas.....--without problems), green peppers, and cabbage (I can now
eat those just fine).  As to other dairy... I was encouraged to add
those back first (slowly), and indeed, did well on all but milk and ice
cream, which are much higher in lactose than yogurt, cream, and
cheeses.   I also found I could tolerate sulfites after I added B12,
molybdenum, and B6 supplementation.  These help the liver to detox
various sulphur compounds.

So I encourage
you
 to look into gut flora issues--SIBO and candida, parasites, etc, and
deal with those.  I encourage you to try quercitin (I took 3 capsules/
meal).  Optimize
your liver function and your pH (stomach pH and metabolic pH).  These
will
 all help your digestion and help food intolerance greatly.  Today, I
have normal health and energy, in addition to good food tolerance.

----------

I successfully found many through the 4 day rotation diet many
years ago. You don't repeat a food family for 4 days. Then I was able to identify the culprits.

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/021500.htm  has a good overview of a food rotation diet and it has them already
broken into the 4 days so you don't hve to figure it out yourself.
Unfortunately it does not give the food family name. Just cross off
anything you already know you can't eat. Keep a food diary so you can
track anything new that shows up.

This article http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDL/is_2_9/ai_n18613842/?tag=mantle_skin;content   from the Original Internist is more comprehensive and gives example
of meals and includes many more food families. It also includes a
bibliogrphy which is always a good recommendation.  The 4 day rotation
can be found on Page 4.

There are many more but they are usually promoting their book which is not necessary.

--------

I figured mine out by trial and error over a long period of time.  It
would have been nice to know sooner!  With 20/20 hindsight, assuming
someone is already gluten-free, I would recommend to anyone just
starting try to figure this out, to eliminate dairy, egg, soy, and corn
one at a time, for at least 3 weeks each, to see if it helps.  Next, I
would try the FODMAPS diet. If there are still no clear answers, then a
full-blown (and difficult) elimination diet might help those who are
motivated to do it.

These are the best resources:

The book, Real Life with Celiac Disease:  http://www.amazon.com/Real-Celiac-Disease-Melinda-Dennis/dp/1603560084

The book, The Complete Guide to Food Allergy and
Intolerance.  The most recent (2008) edition of this book is only
available at Amazon UK, I bought it there with no problem.  It has a
thorough discussion of elimination diets:
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide-Food-Allergy-Intolerance/dp/1906680000/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315313204&sr=1-2

This blog may be helpful, she has a
book too although I haven't seen it.  There is also a chapter about
FODMAPS in the Real Life with Celiac Disease book, too, and other info
online, just search FODMAPS.
http://www.ibsfree.net/

We used a notebook and pen - a plain, old-fashioned food diary - to find
my son's multiple food intolerances. It work far better than any of the
printouts from the doctors, and every one we identified that way did
later turn up positive on the food allergy tests.