From:
John Trojanowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:55:38 -0700

SUMMARY - BRAIN LESIONS AND ASPIRIN USE

A summary of responses to my post regarding correlation between celiac
disease and my abnormal MRA/MRI scan that indicated small brain lesions
and my inquiry regarding taking an aspirin a day per my doctors
recommendation.

Concerning the aspirin:

The consensus was that an aspirin a day was 'fine'.  Ecotrin brand,
which is GF and coated, was recommended by several people.  Costco
Kirkland brand is also GF and coated.

Concerning the lesions:

 - Calcium lesions are possible.  I have neurological symptoms which are
assumed to be CD related, but there is little research out there about
how late stage CD affects the CNS--only that it can.

- I was sent to a neurologist for symptoms of pain, numbness

and tingling of my feet.  MRI showed a few small white lesions on my
brain.  Further testing found I have Sjogren's syndrome.  That's what
they're now saying caused the peripheral neuropathy (pain, numbness &
tingling).  I've read up more and found that celiac can cause the
neuropathy and really wonder which condition is at fault.  The
progression of the neuropathies slowed down markedly when I went GF,
before they even found the Sjogren's and put me on meds to slow that
disease process.

- I read a study once that said celiacs do form plaques in the brain,

prior to beginning the diet. But none thereafter.

- My daughter has benign occipital lobe epilepsy caused by her coeliac's
disease.  Part of her brain actually calcified

- I developed an ataxic gait, saw a neuro, and had an MRI, which showed
lesions on my cerebellum, and MS was subsequently diagnosed. At the
time, there was no knowledge of gluten involvement, but I did develop
stomach problems at exactly the same time, which my doctor attributed to
MS. 4 years later I discovered that gluten was the source of the stomach
problems. Celiac disease was later diagnosed. On living a GF lifestyle,
my ataxia disappeared, and I developed no further MS symptoms. I
recently met an Italian professor who has spent the past 25 years
studying the problems of gluten intolerance. He suspects that I don't
have MS, but am suffering from the neurological complications on celiac
disease.

- Celiac can cause brain calcification that can cause seizures...

Something on that at  http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

Also, do a search at www.celiac.com  I have seen that article mentioned
there. (Note: there is much information on both sites).

-  The following is a web site/forum that you might also find very
helpful. http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi Once
you go to the site look for: Peripheral Neuropathy

Many Celiacs suffer from a B12 deficiency and I think maybe some of the
early symptoms you mentioned might be related to B12.