From:
Mary Anne Cripe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 17:16:10 -0500

I received 39 responses to the following question:  If I don't have any
reaction, does that mean I'm not getting any damage, OR does that mean I
could be getting damage without knowing it because I have no obvious
reaction?

All who responded regarding the question unanimously agreed that any time
you ingest gluten, damage is being done to the small intestine regardless
of whether or not you are aware of a physical reaction.

One said Dr. Fine from Baylor University is doing research on celiacs and
has documented this.

Dr. Karoly Horvath responded as follows:

"Based on our studies a typical (biopsy proven flat mucosa, proved immune
reactions to gluten) gluten intolerant patient does not react immediately
with clinical symptoms for a gluten challenge (J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr
1989, 9:176-180).. However, ingestion of GRAMS OF GLUTEN causes several
changes in the intestine.

1. There is an accumulation of inflammatory cells
2. One cell type -so called mast cells- releases factors which factors in
long-term damage the villi and  they also release a factor which
3. Increases the permeability -leakiness- of the intestine, which is a
temporarily change after a single ingestion but may be permanent after
repeat dietary mistakes."

One suggested that more information might be found on this in the FAQ.

Another wrote that "Dr. Carol Semrad has a brief paper at
cpmcnet.columbia.educ/dept/gi/celiac.html. There are also 6 multipage
documents available in the file 'Celiac Spectrum' that can be downloaded
from St. John's University at [log in to unmask] that are very
extensive in scope.

Some listmates misunderstood my intentions. I should have explained that I
have never (and do not intend to) knowingly eat something with gluten in
it; I am just concerned that I will not know if I have mistakenly consumed
gluten since I have no reaction and, therefore, might do the same again and
again.

Several listmates indicated that they, too, have no way of knowing if they
ingest gluten accidentally. I guess those of us who have no noticeable
symtoms will just have to be extra, extra careful in reading labels, and
checking with manufacturers.  One respondent mentioned the Tri-Counties
list of gluten-free products, which I do have, as well as the CSA/USA list.
If anyone else needs that information, let me know.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.  The information has
been very helpful to me and, I am sure, to others who indicated to me that
they had wondered the same thing.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne Cripe
State University of West Georgia