From:
Lyndy Latta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:47:54 EST

In a message dated 1/10/2001 1:54:24 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Have received a nice note from Carol Fenster saying this was a recipe from
>  her book and I had to mentioned it.

I'm a firm believer in protecting intellectual property and are glad that you
were able to give credit where it is due.  I also have to say that after
about a month of intensive study learning about celiac and following gluten
free diet, I have found Carol Fenster's three books to be invaluable in
preparing to provide my daughter with a tasty diet that addresses her special
needs due to her recent diagnoses of juvenile diabetes and celiac disease.
(We aren't yet on a gluten free diet until after she has an endoscopy.)

I haven't read any of (?) Betty Hegeman's books yet (I've heard they're very
good -- I've got them on order), but I've found Carol Fenster's books to be a
real life saver because nearly every recipe I read through made me think
"Yep!  My kids will eat THAT!" .  .  . and I especially appreciate that there
are recipes for all kinds of foods (entrees, side dishes, sauces, etc.) as
well as the usual array of gluten free baking recipes.  She also offers menus
for various meals -- which has been a big help in getting me started planning
gluten free meals for my family . . .

As an added plus is that she has complete nutitional information (calories,
fat, carbs, etc.) provided for each recipe  -- which is a HUGE time saver
since we have to count carbohydrates (because of the diabetes).    Folks with
other food sensitiviesallergies (lactose, refined sugars, etc.) will also
appreciate how she addresses modifying recipes to deal with other special
dietary requirements beyond celiac.

Most of the other gluten free recipe books I've come across so far focused
mainly on baking, or had entree entree recipes that were definitely geared
toward more adult palates than I'm cooking for.  8-)

I got my books from Amazon.com, but I know she has a web site too (the books
are upstairs and the kids are not -- I'd go look it up).  BTW, I'm not
associated with her in any way, I'm just a grateful mom who was so relieved
to have found her books!  . . . thought it would be worth sharing . . .

Lyndy