From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:12:20 -0500

Hello all.  I don't usually speak up about things that happen to me
negatively with this disease, but this one I cannot ignore, as I see it
too imporatant to leave alone.

In my house, one of my family members has an ongoing prescription of
Ibubrofen.  So, after going out and constantly buying Motrin IB, which I
know is safe for myself, I decided to do a little proactive research for
once and see if I could start using the prescription since it is always
around.  (Before people get all upset - this has been recommended to me
by another dr. - using this other person's precription.  I know people
will probably write and say that it isn't safe to use someone else's
meds, but I at least have that part covered!!)  Today, I called up the
pharmacy that fills this medication, and asked to speak with someone who
could help me out with the ingrediants in this pain killer.  A man got on
the phone, and I said "I was wondering if you could help me out.  I have
a condition where I cannot have specific ingrediants commonly in fillers
of medications, and was wondering if you could tell me the specific
ingrediants in the generic Ibuprofen that your pharmacy uses."  He said
(very rudely,...and I quote)  "There is nothing in it but straight
ibuprofen."  "600 mg of just ibuprofen, no fillers?" I asked.  "Of course
not, it is just plain ibuprofen." and then he hung up.  Now, I found this
strange, so I called a pharmacy where I know the pharmacists and asked
the same ?.  The man was so nice, and said he finds it very strange that
there would be no fillers of any kind in a medication. He also felt bad
for me that I was treated so poorly by the other man!  Hmmm...He wasn't
sure about these specific ingrediants, and gave me the 800 number of a
pharmaceutical company that his pharmacy uses.  Called them, got
transferred a couple times, and finally asked my question again, this
time stating that I was a celiac, could not have gluten, and needed to
know what fillers were in their generic ibuprofen.  I am calling back
tomorrow with more specific information from the second pharmacy (lot
info) and will get my answer.

I cannot believe the answer that the first pharmacist gave me, and I am
quite frustrated.  Is it not true that pills have fillers in them?
Wouldn't our stomachs be torn to shreds by medicines if it were not for
some kind of filler/buffer in the pill? What if I, heaven forbid, got
anaphalactic reactions from gluten, and after him telling me that there
was nothing but ibuprofen in this pill, took it - and became seriously
ill???    If someone has a similar experience with this, or can offer any
advice, I would really appreciate hearing about it!  The first pharmacy
is in a supermarket, and tomorrow, after finding out for sure what
fillers are in this med., I am calling the manager of the store and
explaining my experience to him. Ugh!  What a day.  Please someone let me
know, however, if there is a possibility that this (or any) medication in
pill form could have absolutely no fillers in it, before I go reporting
this man!

Beth in CT