From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:45:47 -0500

As Zithromax (Z-Pak) is just about the only antibiotic I can
tolerate, I wanted to find out as much as I could from Pfizer,
regarding information posted on the list that it now contains gluten.

Per the rep I spoke to, this is the cautionary statement used on the
product, verbatim:

"The (current formulation) may contain 0.01-0.05% non-gliadin gluten."

(NOTE:  The statement clearly says "may" and not "does" contain.)

Other than my assumption that this means 100-500 ppm (parts per
million), I really don't understand the significance of the
statement.  Although, I would assume that it also means they have
spot-tested the product for gluten, and found it at those levels.  (I
am only guessing here.)  And, frankly, I don't know from
"non-gliadin" versus other gluten.

If anyone can explain this to me, as to the safety of this drug for
one with CD, I would surely appreciate it, and will summarize back to
the list.  It is, truly, only one among a small handful of
antibiotics that I am not allergic to, and I might personally
consider a very small potential dose of gluten to be worth the risk
if I am really ill, and in need of a short-term antibiotic.

Would appreciate not receiving a lot of mail from folks whose
opinions are that only ZERO gluten is OK.  I know this, for goodness
sake.  I would like to know from anyone who can explain how serious
this disclaimer seems to them.  I have a high sensitivity to gluten,
and expect that I would have some reaction to any gluten in the
product -- but what I am trying to understand is if this is a "lot"
of gluten or a relatively minor exposure.

I might also add that Z-Pak is now also available as a generic -- so
I guess that adds another dimension to all of this.  However, I only
spoke to Pfizer, makers of the original brand name product.

*******
*******