From:
Selena Eon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Selena Eon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:16:43 -0800

GF prepared Mushroom Soup Summary--Thanks to the 46 people who replied. My
comments are in { }.

The favorites (USA):

*         Progresso Cream of Mushroom Soup -Canned soup, many noted that
this is becoming hard to find in many supermarkets. Also one note about
Energy foods having a GF soup sold under the Progresso ( General Mills
parent company). Progresso has other soups that are also GF.

*         Imagine Foods Cream of Mushroom (also dairy free). Also mentioned
was the delicious sounding Portabello Mushroom more. Common at natural
markets, sold in aseptic rectangularish packages. {I've had several flavors
of this brand and thought they were delicious and even better with a simple
veggie addition in some cases}

*         Health Valley Cream of Mushroom.-Canned soup. Health Valley also
sells Cream of Chicken and Cream of Celery that are both GF.

*         Glutino Cream of Mushroom which is a dehydrated mix that could be
made with less water for the right thickness (online)

*         Organic Valley's C.O.M brand

*         In Canada, President's Choice ready to serve Cream of Mushroom is
GF.

{I haven't done any further research on any of these. You should use your
personal food GF safety checks and balances before eating anything. Most of
the soups above note WHEAT FREE allergen labels now and might even be marked
GLUTEN FREE. Several people noted feeling very comfortable with the
company's safety policies or mentioned that they are aware of cross
contamination. }

Many informative respondents noted that the soups are NOT condensed like
most of the recipes call for and that the soup may be thickened with the
addition of a thickening agent if needed for the particular recipe.

Here are the suggestions for thickening the soup.

Flours: cornstarch, rice flour, sweet rice flour, potato starch flour.
1-3tablespoons to a can of soup. {I think you could try pretty much any
flour you don't find gritty or unpleasant based on what you had in your
kitchen}

Xanthan or guar gum, up to 1 tablespoon.

Add more mushrooms {I love prepared soup with extra bits of veggie or other
leftovers added in my soup!}

Make a roux with butter and flour to thicken it.

Make a basic white sauce to mix with the soup.

Simmer the soup for a while to reduce and thicken it up.

Also mentioned: Skip the soup and use white sauce made with cornstarch in
the recipe. Make your own-received 2 recipes.

{Have a great time cooking this fall!}

Selena Eon.