From:
"Thomas, Janet HRD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:35:00 +0100

I agree that it is easy to get publicity on CD with stories about children.
 My son, who is now nearly 8 years old, has been featured on both radio and
in our local newspaper as part of our Chapter's Celiac Awareness Week
activities.  The first year I was interviewed vis-a-vis how Michael was
diagnosed, his diet, the baking, etc.  It was a half hour interview carried
on a local Sunday morning news-talk show which is very popular in our
community.  The following year Michael was interviewed himself for a 5
minute clip on CD on the same station.  The announcer was delighted with
Michael, particularly when he told him that Mummy is a good cook but once
she blew-up Daddy's birthday cake.  I wouldn't let him use that anecdote!
 The following year the local newspaper visited us to take photos and do an
full page article on Michael and his 'diet for life'.  Following that I had
strangers approach me and mention the article to me.  Excellent coverage in
terms of readership!!

Recipes have also attracted our local newspaper. For the past couple of
years they have focussed the weekly cooking page on gf recipes during Celiac
Week and in fact, some folks have used those recipes to make special items
for Michael to eat at school or church events.

We have had very little success in reaching the medical community here.
 They simply are not interested in knowing more about CD (excepting the
gastros and the few family doctors with CD patients).  Yet this is a group
who needs their awareness raised in the worst way.  Any ideas on how to
reach them?  We've tried information booths at the hospital, mailing out
information kits, invitations to meetings, etc.

Janet Thomas
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Canada