Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:42:42 -0600

Dear friends on listserv,

I wish to thank all who have written a reply to my questions and comments about pharmacists and responsibility.  I have received about 20 responses.  The opinions very greatly!

About 50% of the responders felt strongly that pharmacists should assist the consumer with the list of ingredients.
Four or five people shared very similar experiences, with pharmacists not being able or willing to explain the ingredients.  Most of these persons felt this was unprofessional.  A couple of people have suggested writing CEO's and encouraging National Support Groups to get involved in bringing more awareness about the dangers and implications of gluten or wheat starch in RX drugs.

On the other hand, several people have written back and want to absolve pharmacists of any responsibility, saying it is a courtesy but not something they should be accountable for.  These people feel it is mostly the consumers responsibility to call the manufactures.  These people want to be patient and diplomatic, and suggest giving the pharmacist a couple of days to do the research.

Most of us have experienced this problem.  Some have been fortunate to have pharmacy staff who know them, and who have flagged their accounts.  These people are very appreciative of the sensitivity for safety that their pharmacists have shown.

One person pointed out that pharmacists are not really trained to know this information, and that a pharmacologist needs to be consulted.

Some people were angry that I raised the question?  Some in the medical field are more allied with the pharmacists, rather protective and defensive.  They feel consumers ask too much in this situation, especially because the drug industry doesn't have research because no RX is available to treat the disorder.

One of the problems seems to be that the fillers for various medications (even the same medication) can vary from time to time, and not even the pharmacist would know about it.
So to ask the pharmacist would be pointless. The pharmacists don't want to be liable.

One person said that the consumer should stay out of it, and leave it to the "higher ups" because angry consumers just come off as irate -- probably doing a disservice for the cause.

Others are irate.  Being irate is rational to them, and appears to motivates people to do something to bring about change.

Another question raised is if OTC and RX responsibility is the same?  Perhaps someone has some insight into this problem?

-------------

I personally find the difference in opinion very interesting.  I find it a bit distressing too.

My concern is that some people really can't look this stuff up.  I know when I am sick I can barely make a meal, let alone make calls to manufactures and the like.  What if you are taking several medications?  What if it is an emergency or you are in the hospital?  What if you are not that aware or educated?

I think the lack of awareness and professionalism is terrible.
I think an organization like the National Safety Foundation should be consulted for their expertise in collecting research on this subject.  I wonder what pharmacists learn in school and what kind of continuing education they have to have?

As we grow older it will get more difficult to advocate this for ourselves.

I don't think we should excuse this away.  Some persons feel that Celiac and gluten intolerance are so new that no pharmacist should be e expected to understand.  I say, if we have all known about this for a couple of years, and if European Medicine has known about this for over 10 years, then what's going on?

I am glad I had this opportunity to realize the state of this situation.  For some they might not react, for others, the little bit of gluten in medication on a daily basis can be just devastating.  We all need to be our own advocates, but most of us are not chemists.  That is partially what we pay our pharmacists for.

Finally, several people commented that we need to move beyond our discussion of safe GF foods, to include all aspects of what we consume.

Sincerely,

Denise