Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:15:38 -0800

Hi All,

Thanks for the many, many responses I received. It was
unanimous that it is not possible to "cook off"
gluten. Gluten won't deteriorate with heat since it is
a protein. Several people, though, eat this candy with
no problems and believe it to be ok. Other suggestions
for chocolate included Fannie May, See's, Hershey's
kisses and M&M's. One person recently found out from
See's chocolates that they use flour on the assembly
lines so they cannot guarantee they are gluten-free.

So, obviously, the person I spoke with at Russell
Stover was not educated at all on what gluten actually
is. If anyone hears anything different from this
company, please let me know.

Laurie