Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:37:54 -0600

The following excerpts from two replies to my post about canola oil
prompted me to post again:

Reply #1) Who is this reliable source? Who did the testing and where? If
it's been tested there should be some documentation. Where is the
documentation? Please, please do not spread rumors like this unless you
have something solid to back it up with. If there's good proof this is
true, then please post it. Reliable sources provide proof of something
like this.

Reply #2) I understand why you did not disclose all this information in
your e-mail.  You do not want to discredit anyone until you understand
the issue and I admire that.  So please understand that my questions are
meant just to help you look into this further.

My reply:

My reliable source holds an important position with a large food
manufacturer - short of corporate greed there seems to be no reason to
doubt this person who claims to have test results from canola oil
samples completed by an independent outside source (outside the
company).

I do not wish to disclose the name of this person until I can confirm
the details of the tests - I do not know all the facts surrounding the
tests but am only assuming the testing was completed accurately. The
person who disclosed this information to me was so surprised by the
results of the first sample, that second and third samples were sent to
the lab to verify.

So in my post, I did not say that canola oil definitely contained
gluten. I was questioning whether anyone had ever actually tested canola
oil samples used sophisticated lab equipment with published results, and
I apologize for not being more specific in my original post. I did not
intend to mislead anyone.

For example, in the article by Gluten-Free Living or in the statement
issued by the Canola Council of Canada, do they say, "we don't think
it's possible for cross-contamination to occur" or do they say, "we
tested x number of canola samples and found no traces of gluten".

Is it such a far cry to suspect gluten in the canola crop when it's
well-established that gluten contaminates the oats crops? The same train
cars, the same grain bins must be used for wheat and canola, because
when I look out over the fields of alberta I see both crops side by
side.

One poster says, "I've been GF for four years and NEVER seen any
documentation that canola has gluten."

Why? Is that because no one has ever tested it and published the
results? Is there any documentation that it doesn't contain gluten ?

I just want the facts please. Has anyone tested canola oil ?

I will definitely summarize.

Janice.