From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:11:45 -0700

For some time I have been trying to encourage my daughters Fiona,
and Sarah, to try putting their children on a gluten-free diet, since their
father and I are gluten-intolerant.

On Thursday Fiona attended a midwive's refresher course in London,
and spoke to a "top London dietician" who stressed the following:

        no one should withold gluten from the diet unless they
        have  had the villi sample,  which as you know is invasive
        and risky to say the least   To cut out gluten in a childs' diet
        could cause hypersensitivity risks if they accidentally ate it
        with possibly disastrous consequences.

So where does this leave an already sceptic mother?  If she has
the villi test she is endangering her child, and if she witholds gluten
she is endangering her child's health.  I will forward any responses
to my daughter.

Valerie, California