Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:03:31 -0600

More responses:

I have both systemic lupus
and Celiac.  I also have Type I diabetes and
Hashimoto's thyroid disease.
Following is an overview of my medical history:
Type I diabetes: age 9
Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease: age 18
Systemic Lupus: age 22
Celiac: age 25 (however, I now know I've had this for
as long as I can remember)

I have not yet noticed
any improvement in my lupus symptoms with a
gluten-free diet.  However, it is important to note
that I was recently diagnosed with Celiac; I've only
been on the gluten-fee diet for about two and a half
months.  Maybe (and I hope) they will improve in the
future.  However, my direct symptoms of Celiac have
GREATLY improved with the diet, namely sever stomach
pain and frequent vomiting after eating.

My rheumatologist has not formally diagnosed lupus in my chart (I have 2 out of 3 STRONGly positive results - 3rd is currently negative)  but basically said I do have it and am on plaquenil.  Oddly enough I also have positive rheumatoid factor....lucky me.
Auto-immune conditions tend to be hereditary and my experience indicates occur in clusters for some people....meaning having more than just one.
Yes-yes!  I have it all!  I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid--still wasn't better, then they found out I had celiac--still not better completely after the GF diet....then came lupus all within a 2 year period.  It was very difficult, but I've learned to adjust--what else can you do?
I was tested for Lupus they said I could possibly have it but needed to retest in 6 months.  After 6 months and the retest they said I didn't have it.  I was told I had fibromyalgia, IBS, spastic colon and given a lot of drugs.  After finding out on my own I was gluten intollerant and starting the diet most symptoms went away.
I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 2.5 yrs., but I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1973 & scleroderma after that. (Maybe if the celiac disease had been diagnosed 50 some yrs. sooner, I wouldn't be in advanced stages of lupus & scleroderma.)

*******
*******