From:
Margery Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:31:20 EST

In a message dated 2/24/99 12:00:22 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< It would be terrible to try to adhere to this diet for one's entire life
if and when it really isn't necessary! >>

I don't wish for the writer to take offense here, however, something MUST be
said about this kind of "attitude".  My oldest son was diagnosed with celiac
disease at the ripe old age of 16 mos.  The doctor couldn't even help with the
diet, as he hadn't a clue.  There wasn't a nutritionist or dietitian we
contacted that knew the diet.  I was lucky as I have a family member, who is
also celiac, that educated me and got me on the right path.  I've been doing
this for my children, as well as myself, for almost 7 years.  While I'll agree
that it's not the easiest, I refuse to fall into that mindset of this being an
"awful diet".  The longer I've been doing this, the more I've learned to
enjoy.  It's fun to experiment with new recipes.  It's always exciting when
someone finds something new to try or a local restaurant introduces a new dish
that's "safe" to eat.

There is nothing TERRIBLE about this diet, except that general society makes
it difficult.  Forgive me, but I don't hear my diabetic friends complaining
all the time about their "awful" diet.  May not seem terrible to you, but I
thank God I don't have to deal with that.  If the worst thing that ever
happens with my children's health is celiac disease, I'll feel blessed.  My
kids are happy, healthy and normal in every way.  They know their diet is
somewhat different, but with a positive attitude they keep there chins up and
accept "substitutes" when others are having things they can't.  What I want
you to SEE here is that those "substitutes" are "the real thing" for my kids.
They don't view themselves as second class or the food their eating as "second
best".  As adults, you should be setting positive examples.  You should be
glad there is PLENTY of wonderful, palatable foods that you CAN eat.

Constantly brooding about what you CAN'T have serves no other purpose than to
keep you miserable.  I don't wish to lecture.  I'm simply asking that you
count your blessings and try to enjoy the life God gave you.  People all over
the world "suffer" from wishing they had what others do.  That's a waste.
Exchange recipes.  Educate others about gluten-free living.  Talk with local
restaurant owners.  If you want better eating places, DO something.  Please,
don't go around making comments about this awful diet.  It's bad enough we
have to fight that mindset amongst non-celiacs, we don't need to be saying it
to each other.  Good health.
~MG in KY