Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:43:26 -0500

Dear listmates -

Here is a list of manufacturers and products that I researched
for GF status - dental materials for cleaning, and dental materials
for crown work.

DENTAL PRODUCTS that MANUFACTURERS SAY ARE GLUTEN-FREE
These are for Crown Work (Temporary and Permanent) and for Cleaning

Please note - These products are only gluten-free if all personnel using
them at the dentist's office wear powder-free gloves, and if instruments
are gluten-free.

Technical Support answers inquiries on content at most of these
companies.   If there is no Technical Support  Department, ask for
Research and Development.

One or two companies would only talk with my dentist.

I have listed some of the products I inquired about.  This is only a few
of the products these manufacturers make.  I inquired about these
specific products because my dentist is using them for my crown work.
There are many other possibilities.  Unfortunately,  the Clifford Test
showed I am reactive to the other possibilities.

3M and 3M ESPE      800 344-8235 3M
    800 237-1650 3M ESBE
Manufacturer says all dental products are gluten-free. 3M and ESPE
merged in March.

Impregnum Penta base paste - Permanent crown impression material
Durelon temporary crown material
Protemp Garant  temporary crown material
Visiofil composite
Visiogem
ETCHANT by 3M - This one tested as Suitable in the Clifford test, but
not ETCH:

Bisco    800 247-3368
One-Step bonding material

Cook-Waite   800 933-8031, but Cook-Waite products are made by:
Abbott Pharmaceuticals 800 615-0187
Dealing with Abbott is very frustrating.  You can't get past voice
mail.  So, if you call Abbott:

Follow the prompts for product complaints and leave voice mail -
Complain that you can't get a live person to ask any questions!
I am awaiting a reply to find out if Carbocaine 3% injectable local
anesthetic is gluten-free.  I don't see anything in the ingredients that
could be gluten, but I'm checking.

Dentsply, Dentsply Caulk, and Dentsply Ceramic
 Dentsply  800 532-2855
 Dentsply Caulk 800 532-2855 Customer Service
 Dentsply Ceramic 800 489-0100

These divisions all say that all of their dental products are
gluten-free.

Jeltrates by Caulk Dentsply,  for Temporary Crown Impression Material
Tooth Conditioner etch, by Dentsply
NuPro paste, for polishing/prophy paste, all flavors (for cleaning)
Integrity Temp resin

Den/Mat  (Rembrandt) 800 548-3663
Manufacturer says all dental products are gluten-free.
Holistore composite

Henry Schein Corporation 800 472-4346  FAX: 631 390-8199
Polycarboxylate is gluten-free.
Benzojel is gluten-free (topical anesthetic - I think it is bubble gum
flavor)

Ivoclar-Vivadent  800 533-6825
IPS Empress permanent crown material
Tetric Flow (all shades)

J Morita   949 581-9600    Email:  [log in to unmask]
Cavity Detecting Dye -Actually called Caries Detector and made by
Kuraray - See Kuraray

Kerr Corporation  734 946-7800 Manufacturer says all dental products are
gluten-free, including Bellglass, which is said to be a hypoallergenic
permanent crown material.  Unfortunately, I tested reactive to Bellglass
on the Clifford test, so my dentist is using another material.

Kuraray America    212 986-2230
Manufacturer says all dental products are gluten-free.
-Caries Detector  (J Morita Cavity Detector)

Ultradent    800 552-5512  FAX: 800 842-9024
Astringedent (topical) hemostatic, in the unlikely event that here is
bleeding.

Hope this helps!

Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL