Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 23:26:54 +0200

Thank you for the responses I received concerning my question which
asked about the relationship between a celiac who adheres to the diet
and neurological disorders. Some of the responses were posted by
listreaders directly to the list, so I won't refer to them.

Here is a summary:

Most people who responded felt that these disorders related to
undiagnosed celiacs or celiacs who did not adhere strictly to the diet.
They are prone to a higher incidence of various disorders, as we
already know.

Some seem to think, and with reason, that children diagnosed young (as
with all disease that's the trick - to catch whatever it is early on)
who adhere to the diet for years, face virtually no greater risk than
in the general population. People diagnosed later in life have had
years of accumulated damage to their systems (digestive, neurological)
and even tho they follow a GF diet, they may still be bearing the
results of years of "undiagnosis."

Again, thank you for your contributions. It's always best to have all
the facts, even if the news is less than peachy.

Sharon Marcus